Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bu@@er, I missed it

Comment

I made plum puddings for the first time this year, I also used an old recipe of my mums, but it didn't have grated carrot in it, although I do remember mum saying they used carrot a lot in the war to replace sugar. I boiled all three puddings on our solid fuel stove for 8 hours, the recipe said 9 hours but they were definitely cooked after 8, we know this because we've already eaten one! Just had to make sure I wouldn't serve up a disaster on Christmas day! haha!
      The best things in life are not things.

Comment

I also use an old recipe from my gran .It uses carrot and apple .It is very light using suet and breadcrumbs and no flour. It also steams for 8hrs then a further 2on Christmas Day. It has become very popular with friends and each year I seem to have to make more. Quite often I make little individual ones to have after a big Christmas meal but this year didn't bother with the one I brought with me to Dubai. I keep telling my daughter it's about time she took over making them but the excuse is there not as good as grannies!!

Comment

I find suet ones to be quite heavy after a rich Christmas dinner so the one I do is much lighter and goes down a treat with people - in fact I now get requests to make more for people so I'm not sure I want people to try it now! I tend to cook mine in the cook pot, fill the pot with water to about 3/4 of the way up the pudding bowl and then leave cooking overnight. Then on Wednesday I'll put it on for a few hours to warm up again before serving. If I do steam then it takes ages and you have to keep an eye on the water which is why I find the cookpot much easier.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Yeah, I was topping up the water every half hour with the steamer - a real pain. Should've just done it in the stew pot, but for some reason I thought the steamer would be better/easier. I may or may not make these again depending on people's reactions.

Comment

I used to cook them in the pressure cooker........many years ago though so can't remember how long they took to cook but it was quicker than steaming them.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X