Swede and Bacon Layer

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swede and Bacon Layer

Fab for when you have a glut of swede as this freezes brilliantly, and tastes great! Recipe courtesy of 'recipes for pan or wok'

Serves 4 Prep: 30 mins Cooking time: 1hr
    Ingredients
    1 large onion - chopped
    2 cloves garlic - crushed
    25g butter
    350g rindless smoked streaky bacon
    1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
    275g swede - grated
    salt/pepper
    2 eggs
    75g breadcrumbs

Method
    1 Melt butter in pan & fry onion & garlic for 5mins. Chop 100g of the bacon and put in a bowl with half the onion mixture and rosemary. Add swede to remaining onion mixture in pan & fry for 10 mins. Season & cool. Beat eggs and stir into pan with breadcrumbs.
    2 Line a 1lb loaf tin with a big piece of cling film. Line the tin with bacon rashers allowing rashers to hang over. Add half the swede mixture, bacon and onion mixture then the rest of the swede. Fold over bacon rashers and cling film. Cover tin and put in a large pan (I use a wok)
    3 Fill pan/wok with boiling water up to half way up the loaf tin. Steam for 45mins. Stand for 5mins, turn out, slice and serve.

Would love to give it a try but swede doesn't seem to want to grow well on our lottie. I may give it another try this year just to try this recipe
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Sounds really nice Hazel. We eat a lot of swede in our house so will copy this recipe into my recipe folder!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X