radish

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radish

my 1st crop this year was great and already gone ,next lots on the way and growing well , i planted 100s of them this time was wondering if anyone here has a good/diff way to use um apart from in salads
    Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Can't stand them personally - I assume it is a typo and you mean radish - They are a brassica, and I have heard people here say you can stir fry the tops......

Terry
    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

I put the whole lot leaves and all in salad - but the leaves are a bit 'furry', so not to everyone's taste. I put in a 4' row every couple of weeks and we have PLENTY for 2 families. I've still to work out a way of sowing thinner as loads come up and I have to ditch about 3/4 of the seedlings.

Rabbits like radish leaves, if that helps - not heard of stir frying the leaves, but could give that a go.

Comment

was a typo i did mean radishes . tpeers stirfry sounds good il have to give that a go when they are ready .
        hazel not sure about the leaves but hell im game il give that ago too . iv found the best way to not waste seeds is just to grow in a long tray, when they have 2 leaves i just scoope um up and plantout 4" apart .
        Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

Don't know of any way to use them Dave, apart from in salad. I just plant little and often.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Radishes are a way of life here - think I may have posted this previously, you sometimes get them here in a small bowl with lashing of bread and butter as a starter on some of the 10/12 euro lunch menus.

That said, I was looking at seeds on Saturday in local brico shed and they has 14 different type of radish there, including some 4 x bags in weight cos the French eat so many of them - hence the French radish of course.
            TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Do they REALLY have them for breakfast Tony?
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

There's a good recipe in a cookbook I've got (I think it's called 'Outside the Box', by the people who do organic veg boxes (ABel & Cole)). It's chicken, chilli & radish - chicken breast is cooked, with chilli and sliced radishes added near the end of cooking. This may not be completely accurate as I've only made it once, but it was very nice. Something a bit different from adding to salads.
                http://inelegantgardener.blogspot.com

Comment

This is a recipe from Readers Digest Growing and Cooking(1997)
                  Brie and Radish Mousse

8oz.-(250 gms)ripe Brie
                  half-pt(300mls)double cream
                  celery salt,white pepper
                  20gms gelatine(or presumably veg.alternative)
                  14-16 radishes

Remove rind from Brie and stir til smooth with a bit of the cream.Season to taste with celery salt and pepper.
                  Whisk remaining cream fairly stiff and fold into cheese mixture.
                  Dissolve gelatine in a little water and blend thoroughly into creamed mixture.
                  Trim radishes and chop roughly.Blend intocheese mixture and spoon into a lightly oiled mould.Chill for 3-4 hours or until set.
                  Turn out and serve with savoury biscuits.

I have never tried this so cant vouch for it.I usually eat my radishes as I garden.Good luck, Polly.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X