Green tomato uses

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    I'm about to cook Fried Green tomatoes - never made them before - wish me luck
    How did it go?! I haven't got round to trying them yet but with the masses I just picked these could be on the cards!
    http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

They were really nice - but I made too many 3 large tomatoes!!
      I sliced them about half inch thick, dunked in flour, then beaten egg, then cornmeal and shallow fried them in a wok. Ate them with Green tomato chutney made last week - just waiting for my skin to turn green

Edit - next time I'd take the hard cores out first and remember to add seasoning to the flour or egg. Dryish tomatoes work best as the juicy ones wouldn't allow the flour to stick.
      I mixed the leftover egg and flours together and made an eggy pancake - shared with the dogs as I was too stuffed to eat much
      Attached Files
      Last edited by veggiechicken; 07-10-2013, 01:35 PM.

Comment

I bet they would be lovely in a beer batter..........& that's coming from someone who doesn't drink........
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I'll try that tonight...........if only I had some beer

Comment

I might try fried green toms, as you've tested the recipe and survived, VC I have quite a few large green ones that are not going to turn before Wednesday's predicted cold weather. Is cornmeal essential, or will breadcrumbs do, I wonder? Some of the recipes I've looked at have a mix of the two.

Apparently in the deep South, tomatoes are grown commercially to be sold green as the dish is so popular! They must taste pretty good. You didn't actually say, VC.... do they taste good?
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

They were good and I'd cook them again I'm sure breadcrumbs would do the job just as well - its just something to turn crispy. Next time, its just 2 large tomatoes and one beaten egg for one portion. Some herbs or spices in with the coating would be good too..........

Comment

There must be a way to get green toms into cakes or muffins too. I'm working on it...
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

I'm working on beer batter without the beer - using vinegar instead Tonight's little project

Comment

Green tomatoes in vinegar batter
                    Cooked and eaten

Three medium size green tomatoes - one on the turn which didn't hold its shape and flopped out of the batter!

Batter recipe:-
                    2/3 cup of flour & 1/2 tsp salt - mixed together
                    Add 2/3 cup of water and stir into flour

1/2 tsp baking soda (bicarb) & 1 tbsp vinegar ( I used White wine vinegar)
                    Mix together - will froth up - & add to flour.
                    Beat together well.

Dunk slices of tomato into batter and fry.

Needless to say, I had too much batter so did onion rings as well. I think I preferred the battered ones to the cornmeal coating.
                    .............I'm full again!!!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Green tomato is will uses in dekalitre or curry and therefore the best used of tomato is to tomato Indian relish that is my favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by alishaikh View Post
                        Green tomato is will uses in dekalitre or curry and therefore the best used of tomato is to tomato Indian relish that is my favorite.
                        Do you have a recipe for tomato Indian relish please
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X