Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• piccalilli

Hi can anyone recommend a piccalilli recipe

I found this recipe in one of my cookbooks.
    Vegetable marrow, cucumber, gherkins, French beans, cauliflower, small onions, vinegar and salt.
    For every quart vinegar you should use: 1/2lb sugar, 1/4oz curry powder, mustard 1 1/2oz , flour 1 oz, ginger (dried root) 1/2 oz, tumeric 1/2 oz, a few peppercorns.
    Wash the vegetables and cut them in small pieces. Cut the marrow in small cubes and the cauliflower in small florets. Use young beans, string them and leave whole. Peel onions and leave them whole.
    Spread the vegetables on dishes, sprinkle with salt and leave till the following day, then drain thoroughly. Estimate the amount of vinegar to cover them.
    Mix the flour, mustard, tumeric and curry powder with some of the cold vinegar. Bruise the ginger and tie in muslin with the peppercorns.
    Put the vegetables with the remaining vinegar and bag of spices in a saucepan and simmer gently for 20 minutes; then add the mustard etc. and stir while it boils for 2 or 3 minutes. Pot into warm jars and tie down when cold.
    Hope this helps; as you can see it's an old cookbook, everything is in ounces.

Comment

Originally posted by boatsman View Post
      I found this recipe in one of my cookbooks.
      Vegetable marrow, cucumber, gherkins, French beans, cauliflower, small onions, vinegar and salt.
      For every quart vinegar you should use: 1/2lb sugar, 1/4oz curry powder, mustard 1 1/2oz , flour 1 oz, ginger (dried root) 1/2 oz, tumeric 1/2 oz, a few peppercorns.
      Wash the vegetables and cut them in small pieces. Cut the marrow in small cubes and the cauliflower in small florets. Use young beans, string them and leave whole. Peel onions and leave them whole.
      Spread the vegetables on dishes, sprinkle with salt and leave till the following day, then drain thoroughly. Estimate the amount of vinegar to cover them.
      Mix the flour, mustard, tumeric and curry powder with some of the cold vinegar. Bruise the ginger and tie in muslin with the peppercorns.
      Put the vegetables with the remaining vinegar and bag of spices in a saucepan and simmer gently for 20 minutes; then add the mustard etc. and stir while it boils for 2 or 3 minutes. Pot into warm jars and tie down when cold.
      Hope this helps; as you can see it's an old cookbook, everything is in ounces.
      Thank you boats man il let you know how we get on

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X