Why is my bread like a brick?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is my bread like a brick?

I know there are some keen breadmakers out there so I hope you can help.

No matter what I do, my bread always ends up like a brick. It tastes OK, it's just really dense and heavy. I've tried using a breadmaker and even following the instructions you could build a wall with it.

Hand making is no better, I've used mixes as well as everything from scratch. I've added more water, less water, kneaded till it "fights back", tried not kneading so much but the result is always the same.

Can anyone help??

I have just (recently) found, after years of making bread by hand and machine, that the yeast makes a real difference. In the past, I used the most expensive stuff I could afford. I now use my supermarket own brand and I get brilliant results every time. I'm afraid that the brand won't help you because I buy it here in France but I would try with different yeasts. PM me if you want me to send you a sachet to try.
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

My bread is always better if I add a crushed VitC tablet to it; it's a flour improver Also, try proving it twice rather than just one rise then bake.

Comment

I'd go along with the above comments; using really good fresh yeast from a local baker's is half the battle. Get it well mixed up and frothing away first. I usually dissolve a good lump in warm water, add a tablespoon or so of flour, a teaspoon of sugar, and get it all well mixed up in a jug. Then I put this somewhere warm until it is actually about to froth over the top of the jug. Use this in your mixture and you should notice a difference.

The other factor is the type of flour you use. Using 100% wholemeal is very difficult in making a light loaf, so try 50% strong white bread flour and 50% wholemeal. Leave the mixture to prove for several hours and don't be too brutal in knocking it back. I usually gently cut it into the shape I want at this stage and then leave it in the tin or on the tray in the warm, covered with a damp cloth or cling film, to rise again before putting it in the oven. The second rise can take another hour or so and you do need a warm place.
        Baking works best when you start with a hot oven that is then cooling down, like the old bread ovens that had a fire in them, that had gone out by the time you put the bread in. Be careful not to leave too long if you want bread that is not rock hard. I've found this more likely than the reverse, which is bread that is soft and chewy inside.

Comment

I always used supermarket own brand bread flour, but after December results were heavy

I've now started buying Hovis or Allinson's flour and bread is back to normal I'm assuming that because of last years weather, the cheap flour had less gluten than usual................
          Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 25-03-2013, 11:24 AM.

Comment

been making bread for a while started with a machiene now by hand had some good results and some poor find a recipe that you like and try try try paul holliwood on tv tonight a great baker watch him realy good advice

Comment

Why is my bread like a brick? maybe cos the ingredients were bought in Walmart?

Comment

Its Stoneground flour
                Seriously, what sort of flour are you using. I find wholemeal loaves are always much heavier than loaves made with white flour.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                  Why is my bread like a brick? maybe cos the ingredients were bought in Walmart?
                  Well I admit I did get the yeast in A*da

Thanks for all your help, I'll try adding some Vitamin C the next time and also proving twice. I don't think we have many truly "local" bakers in Aberdeen, in the same sense as in France. The ones I know of operate on a factory scale and then send the products out to their chains of shops. I have seen cubes of fresh yeast on sale in a Carrefour in Normandy - I accidentally bought a couple thinking they were small pats of butter

Not much good for spreading a bagette.

Comment

I used to get fresh yeast in Asda - just ask at the bakery bit - and it was free

Comment

Morrison's often have fresh yeast in the fridge near the pre-made pastry section. Also, supermarket bakeries sometimes have fresh yeast that they'll part with a bit of. Failing those, in the baking section you might find a pot of Allinson's ordinary dried yeast (rather than the fast-action type) which you activate in a jug of warm water the same as fresh yeast. If you keep it in the fridge once it's opened it keeps a bit better

Comment

Or you could try making your own yeast! Sourdough...........

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Could it be down to oven temperature ?
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Just learned about oven spring......the initial rising in the hot oven. Over proving can cause loss in oven spring and therefore a brick is more likely?

Also your dough might be too dry?

Loving my allotment!

Comment

The OH has recently taken to putting a water bath in the bottom of the oven before baking bread; apparently that's what they do when baking fresh bread in supermarket bakeries. Supposed to stop the crust from 'setting' before the bread has risen? Might be worth a try

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X