Peeling garlic- fast!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g4jc View Post
    Years ago I bought a little plastic tube for about 30/40p. Just pop one or two cloves in (found more than this didn't work so well) and roll it on your work top and they are pefectly peeled.

You can still get them on a certain auction site for under £1 inc postage.

If you have old creaky hands and rubbish eyesight like me they are a great help.
    I had one until recently - ace little thing, but it went brittle eventually. Now, I top'n'tail each separate clove, then lay a wide-blade knife on them and 'splat!' Remove knife, pick out skin, and chop what's left, if you want it finer.

My lovely, ex-Chef Husband, uses the garlic crusher, and leaves the ruddy thing in the sink for me to wash.
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

G, I can only apologise for your "ex-chef", I was trained to "clear as you go" and wash up as I work, my KP's love me but my wife has nothing to do when I cook at home, she is so unhappy to have no burn't pans to scrub she just has to have a GnT, I do let her do the plates as it makes her happy but I don't know why?
      Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Well I read this a few weeks back, then wanted to make minced garlic to store in the fridge, so decided to give it a try.
        Didn't bash the garlic just seperated the cloves, in a tupperware box and shook.
        First go about 60% came out peeled, picked them out then reshook the rest, about half of these came out peeled, removed the peeled one's and reshook, couple more ended up peeled and I then simply did the remaining 3 or 4 by hand.

Overall easier on the majority then doing all by hand and quicker, slight concern was bruising but after peeled they were put in a liquidiser with oil and turned into nicely processed garlic.

Not the perfect one off shake to get them peeled but as said worked pretty well.

The ones that resisted peeling most were I noticed being held there by the skins at the top of the clove not the bottom.
        Last edited by Kirk; 20-03-2013, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks Kirk With the stubborn cloves, would snipping off the tops have helped?
          Still haven't tried this myself

Comment

my skull is hurting just at the thought of all that shaking

Comment

Top and tail, shake like crazy, 90% success
              Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

If only doing 1 or 2 cloves I'll top/tail/bash it but if I'm doing a whole bulb I'll pop it in the microwave for 20-30 secs

Hate Peeling Garlic? Microwave it! - CHOW Tip - YouTube

Comment

Thanks sems - that looks very easy

Comment

I top and tail the clove then roll it under my palm on the worktop. That works well enough that I wouldn't consider faffing with microwaves or Tupperware...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X