Today I Cooked...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today I Cooked...

What do you think of a thread like this? I couldn't find one, but its probably lurking just out of sight.

Despite a houseful of cookery books and a cooking background I still sometimes stare blankly at a pile of just harvested grub - most often courgettes - and have no inspiration at all. Or end up doing the same old stuff over and over again.

It might be useful to know what other folks are doing with their harvests, right now.

I'm not talking recipes, just something to trigger the ideas corner of the brain, before it shrivels up and dies.

So.

Last night we made flour tortillas and filled them (at the table) with little gem lettuce, raw red peppers and chillies, tomato and chilli sauce, cheese and a sliced, grilled pork spare rib (marinated in chilli!). Eating with fingers. Messy. Ummmm.
    Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Not home grown unfortunately but today we had a bbq with meat. But also red cabbage, apple and walnuts. Grated beetroot and carrot and walnuts. Could have swapped the meat for those huge flat mushrooms with garlic and cheese in them on the bbq.
    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

just made a curry with a mix of green thai paste and madras paste, to use up courgettes and runner beans.
      Having a tomato and cucumber salad with oil and vinegar for dinner to use up the french black toms so I can save some seeds from them.

Comment

beetroot bread had it with a chunky slice of cheese in the middle great stuff
        Attached Files
        Last edited by darcyvuqua; 09-09-2012, 06:19 PM.
        In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Comment

My complete carrot harvest, boiled and unadulterated. Both of them....
          Roast pattypan squah with garlic. BBQ & chillie sauce to go with mutton chops. Taste like they'd spent the summer climbing about in the mountains. Tasty but tough!
          Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mixed vegetables just plain boiled. Everything home grown - Dwarf French beans, Climbing French beans and Runner beans all boiled up together with onions and garlic. Yum. Will be having some more Climbing French beans tomorrow night with grated courgettes, patty pan squash, garlic and onions.
            Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

(Last night's tea) - slow roast pork (4hrs) with a mediterraean spice rub, mashed potatoes, yorkshire puddings, carrots and a fantastic Scrumpy Apple Sauce that we brought back from Cornwall with us

Comment

yesterday the missus made courgette cake ... it's like chocolate cake, very moist, nom nom nom ....
                and sorry, don't know the recipe so you'll have to google it ....

last night we had roasted veg .... just a mix of the tiny spuds that are left over after cooking the normal ones, onions, shallots, tomatoes, courgettes etc ....

we have LOADS of courgettes, sliced, fried lightly, frozen .... they go in stews, bolognaise etc .... great for bulking up dinners .... which means we get extra portions for the freezer ....
                http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

my wife has some garlic and olive bread in at the moment i dont like olives but it does smell nice
                  In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Comment

I made a deep blackberry and apple pie, so loads of fruit.

Ratatouille to use up courgettes, aubergines, peppers and tomatoes - all home grown.

French beans with tomatoes - this is simply delicious.

Green Beans With Cherry Tomatoes Recipe - Food.com - 30951

A courgette curry

Courgette Curry Recipe - Food.com - 306613

And curried runner beans

Ceylonese Spiced Runner Beans Recipe - Food.com - 111959

plus I pickled some beetroot

Auntie Heather's Awesome Picked Beetroot Beets Recipe - Food.com - 232009

and finally an aubergine and red lentil moussaka.

All vegetarian meals.
                    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Tonight it's roast home-grown veg - spuds, peppers, onions, tomatoes, trombone squash and a skinny aubergine with garlic and a couple of soddiges on top

Raspberries for pud

Comment

Originally posted by darcyvuqua View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]31874[/ATTACH]beetroot bread had it with a chunky slice of cheese in the middle great stuff
                        Could you post the recipe please (or a link to it) I fancy having a go at that
                        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Tonight PP,I shall be cooking stuffed marrow.Home grown marrow stuffed with (home grown) garlic,onion,tomato,(brought) mushrooms,cheese & pork
                          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

(This weekend as its the only days I get to do any serious cooking)

Sat: Lunch home made pitta type bread with home made homous and tomatoes from next door.
                            Dinner Salsa Verde made with tomatillos - absolutely gorgeous. Vegan home made refried bean and rice Burritos with Nachos to start....nomity nom!

Sunday:
                            Made Apple and Celeriac soup for lunch with home made tomato bread
                            For Dinner: moroccan squash& chickpea pasties with homegrown spuds and farmers market French beans.
                            Also made some white rolls and me and the DD made banana flapjacks for packed lunches.
                            Last edited by northepaul; 10-09-2012, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Cheese and crackers, had a bad day so the best I could come up with
                              Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X