Makes: Four 6-inch pancakes

Serving Size: 1 pancake

Ingredients

2 oz cream cheese
    2 eggs
    ¼ teaspoon stevia sweetener
    ½ teaspoon cinnamon
    ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
    25g soy flour (optional, you could use custard powder)

Instructions

Put all ingredients in a blender or mini chopper. Blend until smooth. Let rest for 2 minutes so the bubbles can settle. Pour 1/4 of the batter into a hot pan greased with butter or oil spray. Cook for 2 minutes until golden, flip and cook 1 minute on the other side. Repeat with the rest of the batter. Serve as you would any crepe. Fresh cream & berries are a good one.

Approx nutrition info per batch: 344 calories, 29g fat, 2.5g carbs, 17g protein
    (there will be 3g carbs if you use custard powder)
    Last edited by julesapple; 12-02-2013, 09:35 AM.
    Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

These is the custard powder version; really taste quite good, especially buttered! They'd be good for breakfast a la Américain.

Last edited by julesapple; 12-02-2013, 11:46 AM.
      Jules

Comment

Thanks for these Jules.

I made your original recipe last night, intending to make chicken and mushroom rolled-pancakes for tea tonight. I found they don't spread thin very well so I gave up on that idea and used tortillas for the chicken and just made ordinary sized pancakes with the rest of the batter.

They were absolutely delicious and I had the last one for breakfast this morning with a topping of ham and cheese. Highly recommended

Comment

P10 you might do better with the custard powder ones - they aren't quite as easily split as the soy flour ones. For savoury, just leave out the sweetener - the custard powder doesn't add sweetness.

The original recipe has no flour of any kind, but they just tasted of egg to me - essentially they were just cream cheese omelette.
          Jules

Comment

Low Carb Fried Chicken - better than KFC

Chicken breast fillets, cut into strips.
            Soy Four
            Ground Almonds
            Seasoning
            Milk

Olive oil

Place your chicken strips in a large bowl with enough milk to cover. Cling wrap or cover with a cloth and leave to soak - overnight is best, but three or four hours will do it.

Place equal amounts of soy flour and ground almonds in a plastic bag. Add seasoning - I use fajita seasoning. Place chicken strips one at a time in the bag and shake well to cover the chicken with the coating. Repeat until all of the strips are coated.

Fry in olive oil until golden brown. If you're cooking a lot of chicken, it will stay crisp in a hot oven until all of the chicken has been batch cooked.

If you use 1kg of chicken, to serve 8, it's 1g carbs per serving.
            Jules

Comment

Hi Jules - this is a veggie carb free thread!

Comment

My chickens are veggies......unless they get to the cat food
                Jules

Comment

My two kids were recently diagnosed as diabetic and I'm trying to find some completely carb free snacks that they can have during morning snack at school to reduce the amount of times they need insulin injections. I don't really want to spend a fortune, they used to take in fruit or home made cookies.
                  At the moment I'm looking at carrot sticks, meat or cheese cubes and hard boiled eggs. Any other suggestions ???

Comment

Scarlet, there are some great things here

www.lowcarbdiabetic.co.uk - Recipes

I frequently make the flax seed loaf (it's better with a half teaspoon of guar gum powder added to it - makes more of a bread texture) and I've turned it into ginger cake, carrot cake, fruit loaf (with freeze dried fruit) choc chip banana loaf (with banana essence and very dark choc chips). I don't think you'll ever get totally carb free at home.

Fruit is still quite a good snack for my BH, but he's a type 2. We stick to berries though - very nice with a goodly dollop of full fat greek yoghurt.

Another good place to go is here:

ETYM, Diabetes Care, Diabetic Diet, Diabetes Symptoms, Diabetic Blood Sugar
                    Jules

Comment

• Thanks Jules, they are going in tomorrow with a small bag of cheese and a pepperami (sp!) stick. Personally I think its a load of junk but I'm new to this and if they can have a carb free snack in the morning (5g or under) they only need to have the insulin with lunch and in the short term that works for us.

I'm really struggling because I've always fed them natural foods and now I find myself wandering around the supermarket looking at packet stuff!

Anyway, I've also had a go at making crust less quiche in muffin cases made with sour cream and carb free fillings which seemed to be a hit. I've also got some monkey nuts, Olives and they seem to like peanut butter with celery sticks!

Comment

• Crackers like Cheddars are only 1.9g carb each (not Mini cheddars, just normal size ones) they are a godsend, piled high with cream cheese and bit of ham or pepperami. Snack foods are a problem, we've found.

Something else that your children might like as a main meal is Defren's Cheeseburger Pie from the ETYM Forum.

When you've been at it a while, it becomes second nature. I couldn't have got the BH sorted out without that forum and the recipes (but not diabetes advice) from the forum (not the recipes in the header at the top of the home page - they'd make most diabetics hyper) here

Diabetes UK, UK Diabetes Resource, Diabetes Symptoms, Diabetes Diet, Gestational Diabetes

The advice given by the NHS was also loaded with carbs. One day we added up what the diabetic nurse suggested and it came to 370g carbs in one day. When the BH pointed this out she said 'Just take more Metformin' He doesn't take any Met now, it's all controlled by diet.
                        Jules

Comment

• I am in a diabetic forum, Diabetes Support Forum UK - Diabetes Support Forum UK They are big on low carb, it has givem the best control over my diabetes ever and I lost three stone. They have a recipe section jam (no pun intended) packed with great ideas. Of course many contain meat but lots dont. They rely heavily on Almond flour to replace wheat and other grains. Being diabetic and vegetarian makes things a lot harder.
                          My diabetic nurse used to advise me to have wheat flakes (No sugar) or similar for breakfast but that always put up my blood glucose level by three or even 4 points. All carbohydrates get turned into glucose very quickly. Now I eat bacon and eggs for breakfast my levels do not change hardly a point. In fact I have to take a little carbohydrate to avoid a hypo. At last my diabetic nurse has also seen the light and promotes low carb as the way to go.
                          photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                            They rely heavily on Almond flour to replace wheat and other grains.
                            Is the flavour of almond flour very strong? I can eat almonds whole but dislike the flavour of ground almonds and anything almond flavoured esp. marzipan. I'd like to try the low-carb recipes but I don't want to buy almond flour that ends up being chucked out because I can't stand the taste

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              My two kids were recently diagnosed as diabetic and I'm trying to find some completely carb free snacks that they can have during morning snack at school to reduce the amount of times they need insulin injections. I don't really want to spend a fortune, they used to take in fruit or home made cookies.
                              At the moment I'm looking at carrot sticks, meat or cheese cubes and hard boiled eggs. Any other suggestions ???
                              Strawberries and cream, other berries. bannanas are a bit to high in carbs but a few slices adds to the flavour of other things.
                              Oh and sugar free jellies are brilliant.
                              Last edited by Bill HH; 04-11-2013, 08:00 PM.
                              photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Plot10 View Post
                                Is the flavour of almond flour very strong? I can eat almonds whole but dislike the flavour of ground almonds and anything almond flavoured esp. marzipan. I'd like to try the low-carb recipes but I don't want to buy almond flour that ends up being chucked out because I can't stand the taste

Thanks
                                Well in most almond recipes there are sweeteners and that seems to take the marzipany flavour away. Try a small amount before buying a sack full. From a diabetics viewpoint low carb is compensated by the fact you can have lots of cream, butter and some cheese. But a diabetic low carb diet is not automitacaly a weight reducing diet. If I couldnt have meat i would find it very hard to stay low carb myself.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X