Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The mix was half white (Matthews cotswald white strong bread flour50% with mixed half of rye and white wholegrain with spelt in it50%

I use an oven thermometer that's how I found out it was so out.

I have a water tray underneath which does create crust but have now taken it out part way as it crusts too much
    Northern England.

Comment

• So I've been feeding my rye starter with the white Matthews and it's bubbling alot more now. Interesting
      Northern England.

Comment

• Good news about your starter, CG.

With regard to your crust situation, there might be some helpful comments in the last comment here:
        https://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/71...ry-tough-crust

The other thing you could do, which isn't mentioned here, would be to wrap your loaf loosely in a tea towel when you remove it from the oven as that will soften the crust.

Comment

• Thanks Snoop
          Northern England.

Comment

• Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
            So I've been feeding my rye starter with the white Matthews and it's bubbling alot more now. Interesting
            An interesting article her about rye or white/ flour. Like I posted earlier I was surprised how well my started did during lockdown with supermarket plain flour.

https://thesourdoughjourney.com/whit...-your-starter/
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• ^Will read the article later, Bren, but my impression is that once your natural yeasts are up and running, all they need is nourishment, so any flour will do. It's just getting them going in the first place that's potentially difficult.

Comment

• I agree with you there Snoop, that 1.5kg bag of Aldi plain flour I bought for 59p kept my starter alive. So I'm sure any flour would do.

Comment

• Well there is another dough brewing
                  Northern England.

Comment

• Well another has been cooked. I don't usually cut until fully cooled but had some with tonight's slowcooker meal.
                    Northern England.

Comment

• Just perfect CG, that’s a loaf to be proud of

Comment

• I wondered if I'd under proofed /or over I never understand that bit
                        Northern England.

Comment

• Was in Tesco today and noticed Matthews Churchill flour, says good for sourdough.
                          Got another one brewing but with flour used before.
                          Northern England.

Comment

• Snipped the top with scissors this time. Left it even longer before going in the fridge (19hrs)
                            Again tried the container method from your advice but was all I had to play with ,of small le creuset with deep cake tin upturned as a lid.. cooked in pre heated this time, as had cooked pizza beforehand. Forgot to spray it too so not steam addiion.
                            Last edited by Containergardener; 07-04-2024, 07:23 AM.
                            Northern England.

Comment

• Looks good, CG. You pleased with the results? If you cover the loaf during baking, there's no need to spray as the dough itself contains enough water to create its own steam.

Doesn't matter what you use to cover the dough, so long as it's got room to expand.

Comment

• It seemed to keep the top a bit softer when i sprayed it. So I would do that again.
                                Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X