No announcement yet.

Vegetarian Roast Dinner

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the recipes TS, I'm going to try out this nut roast, sounds delish.

None of us are vegetarian but all of us prefer the taste of my veggie lasagna and moussaka to the meat versions so i've been meaning to get some more veggie recipes.
    My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks TS. These sound delicious. Maybe I'll have it for my Christmas dinner. Its always a challenge finding something different and not too complicated. I may make the nut loaf a couple of days before and freeze it.

Comment

Made it last night with flaked almonds, walnuts and hazelnuts and it was absolutely delish! It needed an extra egg as french eggs tend to be small and it looked too dry to bind. We're going to finish it cold with a salad this lunchtime Thank you!

Comment

Sounds tasty..
          Any idea if the nut roast would work properly as a gluten-free version? I know the GF breadcrumbs aren't great for some stuff, but my Mum's GF and veggie (I'm just veggie), and I find her really hard to cook nice food for.
          My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

For those looking for great veggie recipes; may I recommend Huge Firmly With-it-all's new book...it's bloomin fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
              OK- thanks- but can I ask what your favourite mix of nuts is ?
              I have my own hazelnuts/walnuts and chestnuts. Would almonds and peanuts be 'tastier'??

I have a veggie coming this weekend for 3 days and need to think up some yummy dishes
              Chesnuts would work well with mushrooms...very winter woodland
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by hamamelis View Post
                Sounds tasty..
                Any idea if the nut roast would work properly as a gluten-free version? I know the GF breadcrumbs aren't great for some stuff, but my Mum's GF and veggie (I'm just veggie), and I find her really hard to cook nice food for.
                I know nothing about gluten free recipes but, could you substitute cooked rice or some other cereal for the breadcrumbs? I suspect they're only there to absorb the egg and bind it all together.

Comment

It's not an expensive recipe so I'd give it a go and see what happens!

Comment

I think I'll have to!
                    I have very little clue about adapting stuff to gluten free; but I have slightly more clue than my Dad, so I thought I'd do the veggie option for Christmas dinner this year- as he's a definite carnivore, and Mum'll be at work for the morning.
                    My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

Chestnut and Mushroom Loaf

Chestnut and Mushroom Loaf

I made this because Sainsbry had chestnuts & mushrooms reduced to a quid today, and I made two because the carnivores always nick my Xmad dinner

250g chestnuts (score them, then boil for 10mins, allow to cool completely, then peel off the leathery shells)

3 tbsp oil
                      3 onions, finely diced
                      2 cloves garlic, crushed
                      550g mushrooms, roughly chopped
                      125g dried cranberries (H&Barrett)
                      75g hazelnuts, blitzed in a blender
                      1 egg, beaten
                      2 tsp mixed herbs
                      1 tbsp Marmite
                      2 tbsp Worcestershire or Soy sauce
                      handful chopped green spring onion or chives (I keep some in the freezer)
                      50g dried breadcrumbs
                      black pepper, to taste

- heat oven at 200c
                      - fry the onions in the oil until softened
                      - add garlic, saute for a couple mins, don't let it brown
                      - add mushrooms, cook for another 5 mins
                      - add everything else, mix well
                      - tip into a lined loaf tin (you may need two, or use a cake tin)

- cook for about 40 mins, until an inserted knife comes out not-sticky

Let it cool before slicing, or it will fall apart
                      Freezes well
                      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 18-12-2013, 06:53 PM.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X