Slowcooker - Vegetarian viewpoint

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
    What sort of capacity should I be looking at for the two of us?
    this is the Lakeland one: Two-Portion Mini Slow Cooker - Lakeland, the home of creative kitchenware

and here are loads more: http://slow-cooker.org.uk/

You've got me thinking now. I have always cooked Mr TS his one-pot meals on the hob, but the hob is faulty and has power surges (it will go from off to boiling its guts out, no happy medium).
    I fancy this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...slow-cooker-21
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 19-01-2011, 09:01 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks TS - mixed reviews for that one. Might do as suggested and take a look at reviews on Amazon. I'm also wondering if I got a bigger one I would have enough leftovers for my lunches at work.
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

if I got a bigger one I would have enough leftovers for my lunches at work.
        or to freeze? We are eating our way through the chest freezer at the moment, ahead of the broad bean glut
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Spot on. Off to have a look-see, thank you.

Comment

Bought this one but in 2.5 litre size last weekend for £9.99 in Robert Dyas but the smaller one is not on the website.
            Made a beef casserole (sorry can`t help with veggie options so far) but the 2.5 size made plenty for 4.
            GCR030 Nuo 3.5L Slow Cooker - Robert Dyas -

Comment

Well I've done it and expect delivery tomorrow. It's a Breville 3.5 litre from Argos, reduced from £29.99 to £16.49 and I'd got a £10.00 voucher code from purchases at Christmas. Decided that the big ones were too big and the small ones, well, you get my drift. Quite excited now, thanks very much!

Comment

I have my nan's old one (must have been bought about 1980 I'm guessing!) which we use quite a lot. Can't remember what make it is but it's sized to do a caserole for about 4 people so we eat two portions and free the remainder. Usually use it for slow cooks of meat but it's also great for chickpea based stuff and beans too although obviously you have to boil them up for 10 mins first. One of the things I really like about ours is that the dish bit is hob save so you can brown anything in it first (I rarely bother) or thicken the sauce up on the hob afterwards without making extra washing up.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I never thought about it being hob safe Alison, I can see how useful that is. Fingers crossed mine will be. I think the last one I had I got rid of in the 1980s!

Comment

I always thought fresh and nearly raw was the most flavoursome and beneficial way to serve veggies rather than simmering the living daylights out of them for hours?
                    Surely the time it takes to boil/roast veg, if pre prepared, would be minimal anyway?

Soups and stews would probably be ok though.
                    I have a slow cooker but have never used it for anything oher than tenderising meat.
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'm not a vegetarian, so I hope I can be a bit more adventurous this time round! I have a rolling pin that tenderises most things.

Comment

.....................! I have a rolling pin that tenderises most things.
                        So does OH.............including my head!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                          Hmmm - I have been pondering exactly the same question. It all started with chicken stock versus veggie stock. From what I gather veggie stock does not improve after 1/2 an hour simmering whereas chicken stock needs as long as you can give it.
                          Is that actually true about veg stock only needing 1/2 hr in a slow cooker? It hardly seems worth it and I wouldn't have thought it would get hot enough in that time frame. However, meat stocks improves with cooking time, becuase the bones get softer and release a richer flavour.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                            S'alright.....i just wondered if they are worth it for veggies....
                            You'd have to get a big one to fit a whole Vegetarian in!
                            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                              So does OH.............including my head!
                              We're on the same wavelength then

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                                You'd have to get a big one to fit a whole Vegetarian in!
                                That's very nearly funny.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X