Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palestinian Olive Oil

Hi all,

There was an interesting article in the Food programme with Jay Rayner on Channel 4 on Wednesday about the sales of Palestinian Olive Oil. It appears to be a success story emerging from the devastation of the conflict in the area and one I would like to support.

Essentially, the olive oil is at the 'premium' end of the market because it is hand picked and only available in small quantities and is sold under the Fairtrade banner. I for one am going to buy 2 bottles for Christmas - one to keep and use and one for a present. If this only goes some small way to economically helping the region then I am happy to do my bit.

Skotch (not politically affiliated to anyone)
    Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity

I saw this too. I'd like to buy some but the report didn't say where you can buy it.

Comment

There is a company called Zaytoun set up to sell the oil over here
      google it for the link.
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I would guess somewhere like Waitrose or Sainsburys will probably stock it - look for the Fairtrade logo on the bottle
        Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity

Comment

When we go to Spain (eg last week) we buy locally produced olive oil. Eventually I hope to have our own produce from the trees on our patch.
          If I didn't have that option, I might consider this product.
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I watched with interest too. We recently changed to locally produced Rapeseed Oil. Cheaper than Olive Oil, just as good, and much lower food miles.
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

the store in the program looked like waitrose to me..

Comment

Here is the fairtrade company who sell the oil. It lists the online shops and retail outlets by area on the 'distribution' page.
                Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Jeez Looeez! Have you seen the price of it?! Good on them for finding ways to a) earn money and b) raise their profile in a positive way, but this is waaaay beyond our pocket

Comment

i quite agree there , especially as i have bought various different olive oils and not really noticed a difference... i always buy the cheapest one i can find!

Comment

We found the cheapest way to buy top quality Olive Oil, was to get friends/Mr. G's colleagues to bring it back from Calais. Unfortunately they have a tendency to forget, as they are so engrossed in buying cheap Beer and Tobacco.
                      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                        I watched with interest too. We recently changed to locally produced Rapeseed Oil. Cheaper than Olive Oil, just as good, and much lower food miles.
                        Even if I didn't find the stuff disgusting, I would refuse to buy rapeseed oil. I really detest the growing of the horrible muck! They will grow it in the fields where we walk the dog, and the stink is terrible (and gives me headaches). I believe it also has the highest chemical input of any UK crop (mostly produced by Monsanto, and I object to aiding their profits any more than I ca avoid, even indirectly)
                        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I'll try Sainsbury's, I think my nearest Waitrose is about 150 miles away.

Comment

At those prices you might as well just send them the money (and treat yourself to a bottle of sunflower oil)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X