No announcement yet.

Tomato Passata

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tried it last year,boil,jar,seal,result was a few got mould just on the top,was not aware of tipping the jars upside down to seal,plan on having another go,using the oven roast,turbofoot,jar and oven,THEN put lid on and upturn,WELL somethings got to work,I have done some beans,and beetroot into sealed jars,so far great,i packed the prepared beans in the jar,filled up with water & a pinch of saltpop into oven,just top up with boiling water as it reduces,pop lid on whilst is still bubbling,job done,beetroot,precook,then pack into already warm jars as for jam,sliced,or baby ones,do this while still hot,and pour boiling water over,return to oven,proceed as with the beans,am trying this because i LOVE beetroot,and hate vinegar,it also means we can take a jar of home produce out instead of a tin,when you not got access to the freezer,only time will tell,
    Last edited by lottie dolly; 23-08-2010, 10:46 AM. Reason: missing things out,
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

must say i always freeze mine just to make sure

Comment

I was just thinking ruth, for mine, I've had a few odds and sods tomatoes so far, so I boiled them up in a pan, let them cool, then put them through this thing
        http://www.almiobazar.it/catalogo/cu...sa-Verdure.jpg

I didn't skin or de-seed them, and it made a fairly thick and gloopy sauce after being passed through with hardly any waste to speak of, that I re-boiled....
        Jusat wondering, what kind of passata machine have you got?

Comment

You need to be really careful preserving things in jars without processing them properly, folks. Technically, tomatoes on their own are just high enough in acid to prevent the development of botulism but if there is any doubt, you should add either citric acid or a spoonful of lemon juice or vinegar per jar. And do investigate 'the water bath method' which is the traditional way of preserving tomatoes in jars - there's generally a reason for things becoming 'traditional' and it's usually because people don't die or get ill when you do it that way
          Last edited by SarzWix; 25-08-2010, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Have now tried out my passata machine. Not as messy as I thought it was going to be but took precautions by putting plastic sheeting outside on my patio table and doing the whole thing outside. Managed to get just under 3 pints of tomato pulp which I'm just cooking to reduce a bit. Have decided to freeze it based on the comments about botulism etc.
            AKA Angie

Comment

We have what I call 'a tomato squisher'. We bought it from Lakeland several years ago. Having seen Hugh F-W us it in one of his early programmes from River Cottage, and it was reduced, decided to buy it. It ranks in the category 'best buy'.

We use it to use up the overripe, slightly damaged (just trim up) too small tomatoes. We don't cook them. Basically its an old mincer, but with a screen attachment which takes the skin and seeds out, and the pure tomato juice goes down a chute (?shute) into a basin. You can get more juice by passing the skin and pips through again.

We boil it up to reduce it down, but for freezing we make it into sauces. We make it into a sauce to go with spaghetti, as a base sauce for pizza, and many more.

I always cut the tomatoes up before passing though the machine, as if you leave them whole, they can burst, and you can end up with tomato on the ceiling.

valmarg
              Last edited by valmarg; 29-08-2010, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Pass the pulp through a fine sieve pushing it through with a wooden spoon. I've been doing this for years, it alweays works, giving a good thick sauce. Nev

Comment

I've got one of these:

Takes a bit of elbow grease, and you have to chop the toms up fairly small, but it produces pretty good results; no skins, as much or little pulp as you want.
                  Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
                  Snadger - Director of Poetry
                  RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
                  Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
                  Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
                  piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

I've been thinking of getting for one of those Ollie, its looks easier to use than the potato ricer I've been using.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

passata

Hi Ruth
                      To make good passata you need to grow a variety like san marazano a dry pulpy tom. Are you using the lakeland tomato master? It gets better as you get more experienced-I put a large plastic lid over the top of the hopper to stop splashes. Also an interested granddaughter to turn the handle helps!
                      If your juice is very watery you have 2 choices,1 let it sit and then pour off the water or 2 put in wide pan (wok works well) and boil like blazes until only a thick paste is left.
                      Of course it depends how you intend to use the toms. If you're putting it into soups,stews and curries for example it doesn't matter if it's watery, the excess will boil off. If you're intending to use it in a pasta sauce then you will need to use one of the 2 methods described. Whatever you do it WILL taste so much better than anything you can buy and it freezes beautifully!

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
                        I've got one of these:

Takes a bit of elbow grease, and you have to chop the toms up fairly small, but it produces pretty good results; no skins, as much or little pulp as you want.
                        Yes, got one of those. Mouli legumes,to give it its posh name. Absolutely brilliant. Have had it for years.

valmarg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X