smoked chilli's

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smoked chilli's

Im addicted to the Cholula (sp?) chilli sauce you can get in ASDA especially the smokey flavoured one.....I do add some extra heat from Dave's insanity sauce to pep it up......
    so has any one tried smoking their own chilli's? It would be a homemade smoker.

Dan
    Impossible is not a fact its an opinion...
    Impossible is not a decleration its a dare...
    Impossible is potential......

www.danmonaghan.co.uk

I love chipotles in squash soup, very 'hot' in winter! Never seen any 'safe' homemade smoker info yet, but have you looked over on Chillies Galore forum I know there was a thread on chilli smoking over there.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

yep just seen bluesmans pro smoker....i more of a homemade guy....well a cheap skate!!
      Impossible is not a fact its an opinion...
      Impossible is not a decleration its a dare...
      Impossible is potential......

www.danmonaghan.co.uk

Comment

I thought I remembered some talk over there last season about making homemade smokers (might have involved kettle bbqs)?

Comment

cardboard box and one of these babies
          Cold smoke generator - Mac's BBQ Ltd
          I made my own smoker out of ply and oak. Then I bought the smoke generator so far I`ve smoked home made bacon and ham, Smoked edam cheese,polony salmon, cod, haddock, home made kippers worth every penny and if you look on the guys site he does it in a card board box with a couple of lenghts of dowel
          coastie
          Last edited by Coastie; 14-08-2010, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Found this info on Chillies Galore:

SmokeYour Own
            Start early to allow 6 -7 hours of smoking
            1 pound ripe red jalapeņo or fresno chillis
            10 pounds charcoal briquettes
            Wood chips your choice (such as mesquite chunks cut into smaller pieces)

Cover wood chips in water and leave to soak. Mound about one half the briquettes into the charcoal pan and light. Wash the chillis and cut a slit lengthwise in each one from just below the shoulder to about a half inch from the tip. Place the chillis in a single layer (slit side up) on a tray or rack that will fit in the smoker and won't let the chiles fall through. When the briquettes are covered with grey ash, spread out into an even layer (if using a BBQ, spread the briquettes to the side leaving a bare spot in the center). Place some of the soaked smoke chips on the briquettes. Fill the water pan with 2 to 3 inches of water (if using a BBQ, use an aluminium foil pan that will fit in the bare spot in the center of the BBQ) and put in place over (or in the center of) the briquettes. Put smoker or BBQ rack in place, place the container of chiles on the rack over the pan of water, and cover the smoker or BBQ.

The idea is to keep a low-heat, smouldering, smoky fire for several hours. Add briquettes, smoke chips, and sprigs of fresh rosemary as needed to keep generating heat and smoke. After 6 or 7 hours, the chiles have probably absorbed as much smoke as they're going to. They should be a dark, brick-red colour and somewhat wrinkled but, they won't be totally dehydrated to a point where they would keep at room temperature. Remove them from the smoker and finish drying them in a warm oven or a dehydrator if needed.

Comment

I made a hot smoker out of two turkey roasting tins (99p each at Tesco's) hinged together.
              A layer of oak sawdust on the bottom, a grill tray inside and a small empty bean can, half full of meths placed under it.

Smoked trout in 20 mins!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X