Damsons

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damsons

A friend of mine has given me a huge bag full of damsons from her back garden.

She has also given me some damson jam, and aside from damson crumble, I was wondering what other things I could make?

I should add that I need recipes that are either naturally vegan or which I could adapt to being vegan easily.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Helen

Try Damson Wine -

Ingredients
    - 3 lb Ripe Damsons
    - 3 lb Granulated Sugar
    - 1 Gallon Boiling Water (8 Pints)
    - 1 tsp Wine Yeast
    - Yeast Nutrient
    - Pectic Enzyme

Method 1
    - Choose ripe damsons, to the point of growing mould.
    - Wash them and place in large plastic bucket[1].
    - Pour over a gallon of boiling water, stir with plastic spoon.
    - Cover bucket[2] and wait until a thick mouldy crust has grown on the top, this may take weeks, but it doesn't matter how long, so long as you keep the bucket covered. The flavour of wine will be better if there is a good thick mould.
    - When you are satisfied that the mould is thick enough, remove it completely, in one piece if possible and discard.
    - Strain liquid off into another bucket.
    - Add the sugar, yeast[3], nutrient and enzyme[4], stir well until dissolved.
    - Cover bucket again and leave for three days, stirring daily with plastic spoon[5].
    - Strain into fermentation jar[6].
    - When finished, rack and allow to clear before bottling.
    - Should be ready in six months[7], but improves if kept longer.

Method 2 (Cold Water)
    - Choose ripe damsons, to the point of growing mould.
    - Wash them and place large pan, pour on gallon of cold water.
    - Bring to boil and simmer until tender, but not mushy.
    - Strain through muslin into in large plastic bucket[1].
    - (Damsons can now be used as stewed fruit, or made into jam).
    - Add the sugar, yeast[3], nutrient and enzyme[4], stir well until dissolved.
    - When cool to the touch, transfer to fermentation jar[6].
    - When finished, rack and allow to clear before bottling. Add sugar if required.
    - Should be ready in six months[7], but improves if kept longer.

Notes
    Some points not made clear in the original recipe.

1 All utensils and bucket etc should be sterile. Please see the section on Sterilisation. This is very important.
    2 Some muslin, or sterile cloth tied around the top with string should suffice.
    4 Follow instructions on packet bought, or, about a teaspoon of each. They are not essential to the process, but certainly help increase fermentation speed and strength of wine.
    6 These can be bought in chemists or wine-making or home-brew shops, they hold about a gallon and have a slim top where a fermentation lock can be inserted. If you really can't find one, you can ferment in a bucket that has polythene tied around the top tightly with string - air will find a way out when pressure increases and hopefully not let any air back in. If you use a fermentation jar, ensure that you sterilise the lock - the lock should have water in both chambers, so air bubbles through it as it is pushed out of the bottle - you should top up the lock when it gets low.
    7 See section on Racking, also important.
    http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

Damson chutney Spiced Damson Chutney - Chutney - Recipes - from Delia Online

Comment

Ooooh both of those sound fab!! Thank you so much!!! Has got my mouth watering!!!

Thanks guys for taking the time to type that out and post the link.

Helen

Comment

Good question Helglush. I have a damson tree in my garden and have been trying to find recipes to make use of them. The ones already posted sound fab so I will definitely add these to my collection however I am going to be making Damson Vodka (make as sloe gin) and also Damson 'Cheese'. This is nothing like cheddar but instead like a really really thick jam almost the consistency of Turkish delight. Needless to say I have not made any yet but it does sound good. Anyway I have detailed the recipe below for you:

2kg/4.5lbs damsons
          200ml/6 fl oz water
          Sugar

Cut the fruit into small pieces and place in thick bottomed pan with water. Bring to the boil, then simmer until the fruit is soft. Push through a sieve and then put the pulp back in the pan and cook slowly stirring all the time until the mixture is thick.
          Add the same weight in sugar then boil until it is the required consistency. Spoon into sterilised jars - eh viola!!

Comment

Oh How I wish my damson tree was older...!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X