Dettol for sterilising jars?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dettol for sterilising jars?

I need to sterilise only a single jar so it would be wasteful to put it in the oven - do you think it would be OK to use diluted Dettol liquid? I've googled but can't find anything about using Dettol for sterilising things used to store food... I'll be using the jar to make a sourdough culture.

Thanks!

Boiling water should do the trick.

Comment

I think you can still get Milton which is used to sterilize baby's bottles. Just get the amount correct for the volume of water needed to fill your jar.
      Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
      Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

If I am only doing a couple of jars for fruit I half fill them with hot water and pop them in the microwave till they bubble. BE VERY CAREFUL LIFTING THEM OUT THOUGH!!!
        It's better to put the jars on a plate to make it easier to lift out.

Comment

For goodness sake don't use Dettol - it will leave a horrible taste. I buy Milton tablets which are used for sterilising babies bottles.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
            For goodness sake don't use Dettol - it will leave a horrible taste. I buy Milton tablets which are used for sterilising babies bottles.
            We also use Milton tablets but super market "own brand" are cheaper.
            The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
            Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
              We also use Milton tablets but super market "own brand" are cheaper.
              Yes, I tried them but prefer the genuine article. I can get them cheap round here and they last for ages.

Comment

Thanks all. Haven't a microwave, so will pick up some Milton!

Comment

I think Dettol will 'taint' too.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

wouldn't it be cheaper to stick the jar in the oven or a saucepan of boiling water. Yes I appreciate we are back to your original point but a bottle of milton to sterelise one jar seems very wasteful which is something you wanted to avoid.

Comment

Do you have a dishwasher?

Great for sterilising/cleaning jars. I try to get timing right so that they are still hot from teh dishwasher cycle.

Comment

rinse with boiling water in first, then pop it in the oven after you are using oven for something else whilst it is still warm.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Nope, no dishwasher. I've soaked in Milton and started my culture - it's already bubbling away and smells lovely, so thumbs up to the Milton (having previously thrown away two cultures which started rancid!).

@Flighty
                          Possibly, but a bottle of Milton will last a while, and can be used to sterilise cups that have become fungal (a common occurrence in my house...)

@WeekendWellies
                          I thought sterilisation required sustained heat at the highest gas mark?

Comment

Originally posted by ddiogyn View Post
                            I thought sterilisation required sustained heat at the highest gas mark?
                            Nope, 20 minutes at 100 degrees will be fine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X