Sheep-trodden nettles ok?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheep-trodden nettles ok?

It's time to make food and drink with nettles again, as the fresh, new shoots are just asking to be picked. Thing is, the biggest, lushest crops seem to be those where the sheep hang out (I'm on Skye and the sheep roam everywhere). I really want to pick the nettles but I really don't want to end up with any unwelcome extras carried by the sheep. Will boiling/well cooking the nettles see off every potential bug and parasite? I don't mean to sound paranoid but I know the sheep carry all sorts of undesirables and the sheep-free patch of nettles on our plot is so small that it won't meet requirements!

Wash them well, cook them thoroughly, and I can't see why there would be a problem.
    The sheep have been fertilizing the nettles for (probably) centuries!
    I never got round to making wine or dinner out of nettles, we had goats, and goats LOVE wilted nettles!
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

The goats obviously know what's good for them!

Comment

Are nettles really that great? I keep reading about it but don't know if I could actually go there
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by Nelly View Post
          The goats obviously know what's good for them!
          Yes, they do!
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
            Are nettles really that great? I keep reading about it but don't know if I could actually go there
            If you like spinach you may well enjoy nettles. Best in early spring when sweet and tender. Take them from a shady area and you will spare many valuable insects.
            Save Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock. Coma and Painted Lady butterflies. Dont cut stinging nettles in summer.
            Only cut nettles grown in the shade.

Comment

Nettles are good!

Really, they are good, Shirlthegirl! I would have thought you'd ventured into at least nettle wine territory! I particularly like nettle beer (I put some root ginger in with the nettles) and regretted not making more of it last time. This year I hope to remedy that. The season is a little slower here on Skye than with you folk down "south" so I've time yet. Mind you, I do find with the wild foods that one moment they're not quite ready so you think, hmmm, I'll go foraging at the weekend and then suddenly everything has tipped to just past its best. I must repeat and learn: seize the day! Okay, off to pick now... My boyfriend likes nettle curry (though he'd like anything with curry in the title).

Comment

Recipes to get the family interested then please Personally I can't eat spinach or even very dark green cabbage as I find the flavour just too strong.
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

I hear nettles make a good pesto, as an alternative to basil. I think I'll give it a try shortly, will post my results when I do...
                  Andrew

PreserveShop.co.uk - Preserving Equipment and Supplies

Comment

Here have a look at these...

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ing_45418.html
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nettle pesto is great, just blanche the nettles for a minute in boiling water to take the sting out of them (and only just he tips) then mix up the nettles, some pine nuts, garlic, and parmesan and add oil till the consistency is right. Stores for ages in the fridge if covered in oil and is dead good. Am intending on making some at the weekend.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X