swap lard in recipe help

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swap lard in recipe help

Hi, I am making cornflake tart as my son missed it at school last week when he was sick.
    My recipe says 40 g margerine and 40 g of lard. I don't use lard. Can I just use all butter? Or Marge?

Thanks

Janeyo - is this for the pastry case? How do you usually make your pastry? I always found all-butter pastry is nice and short - which is what is claimed for the marg and lard option.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Since Himself had a minor heart attack I don't use butter in pastry - I use all marge. Comes out great.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks. It is for the pastry case. I normally cheat and buy the stuff you just add water to. *Hangs head in shame.

I will use all half marge and half butter I think esp as we are building the lad up after his poorliness

I remember cornflake tart from school, Yum

Just asked OH if he will have some if I make it and he said... 'If I have to'. What's wrong with him? lol

Comment

I use half butter and half white solid vegetable oil (Spry, Trex or Crisp & Dry)

Comment

I have never used lard in pastry- only marg and/or butter.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Twas yum. And there is some left for the children tomorrow

Comment

I use that white Flora stuff sometimes. Works well.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                  I have never used lard in pastry- only marg and/or butter.
                  That's because you are in France, Nicos. Mmmmmm. Tarte tartin.

Off (this) topic. Thanks for the advice on rudbeckia by the way. I have 3 types germinated.
                  Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                  >
                  >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

I can't make pastry - hot hands see.

Great at massage though.
                    Last edited by HeyWayne; 23-03-2010, 01:35 PM.
                    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

School cookery lessons, lard makes pasty a bit on the soft side, marge tends to make it a bit hard, that is why the mixture is in recipes. Butter should work fine (from that POV).
                      My Mum always used all lard and there was nowt wrong with her pasty. I think it works how it works....
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I use butter and crispo (a solid veg fat) and go heavy on the butter - egg yolk- and sugar. yum yum

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X