Urgent Cake Icing/Colourings Question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent Cake Icing/Colourings Question

I'm just in the middle of decorating a Golden Wedding cake for my in-laws, and I've made a big boo-boo...

I've covered it with IVORY icing, but the royal icing I've got to make up is WHITE How on earth do you colour white to turn it into ivory?!!

(The rest of the decorations are sugar flowers in a lemony/ivory colour)

Do you have vanilla essence/extract? Some types of that will work. I'll think on in case it doesn't, but give a small piece a go to test?
    I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

I have, but. I've got some Mexican stuff that you can only use 2 drops per kilo of mixture, or, I've got some Supercook stuff that is really pale.. I was wondering about a drop or 2 of black coffee, but will that just make it brown and coffee-ish rather than ivory? I've got yellow and orange food colouring...? What actually constitutes 'ivory'?! I have no idea, never was much of an artist...

Comment

For ivory, brown and yellow would be ideal colours (in teensy amounts). Could you try a tiny, 1/4 drop of yellow, and an even tinier bit of vanilla? You can always add more to it, I think you'll be able to achieve ivory with what you've got, but you'll have to go slowly with it. Were you in a hurry...?

When is it needed for?
        I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Err... Tomorrow

Because they wanted sponge rather fruit cake, it's all had to be very last minute

I'll try that, I'm pretty sure I've got enough to try again if it goes wrong! Thanks Rhona, much appreciated

Comment

If the vanilla doesn't work how about a tiny bit of watered down cocoa powder.....again tiny being the key word!

Good Luck and don't forget the pics.
            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Ah, I was going to offer to post my edible gold leaf (Golden Wedding an all) which I bought and never used, but too late for that!

Good luck and as Di says, photos would be nice.
              I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

You've probably got it all in hand now but whilst washing up I thought of tea!
                How's it going
                the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Well, I managed to get it to 'off-white' and it looks fine (I think) - I used a couple of drops of the very dark vanilla, a tiny bit of custard powder, and some edible gold powder that I had already (great minds Rhona )
                  Attached Files

Comment

That looks AMAZING!
                    If I ever get married again, can I hire you to make my cake

Comment

Sarz that is STUNNING!

Not much of an artist, she said!
                      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Thanks It's a bit cheaty though - I didn't make the flowers, just assembled them

Comment

By heck lass, that looks good enough to eat!
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

That looks fantastic, I'm seriously impressed! I think you can say that the colour match was a success, can't you . Well done lass!
                            Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Comment

Sorry I've only just seen this thread and I'm too late to help. - Not that you haven't managed to produce a really stunning result with your ingenuity!
                              The colouring I find best for turning white icing to ivory is the "Cream" paste colouring.
                              I add it in minute amounts (using a toothpick!) until I've got the colour I want.
                              It looks very yellow in the jar, but it does work - believe me.
                              When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X