No announcement yet.

Brisket in Slow Cooker

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you everyone, Brisket is going into slow cooker first thing in the morning ready for tea tomorrow night all been well. :-)

Comment

OK Brisket is in the slow cooker, went in at 9am in a couple of inch of water with a stock cube, 3 onions, a stick of celery, a carrot and a sprig of bay leaves. I have put it on high with the intention of turning it down to low after the first hour. I am so looking forward to this Brisket :-)

Comment

loads of info in this thread. I have learned alot. A lot of the recipes are the similar but there are one or two I will definately give a go. I like the slow cooker as you can do what you want while it cooks for and I believe it is cost friendly so saving energy aswell. good luck with your briskett Jillyreeves. Once you start using the slow cooker you will use it more often.
        Last edited by lez; 29-12-2009, 10:44 AM. Reason: spelling was appalling

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement Lez :-)

Brisket is now on Low.

Comment

OK just checked the meat, been cooking 8 and a half hours now, first hour of high rest on low, its still a bit pink for my liking so I have popped it back on to high for the last half hour as hoping to eat about 6pm, hope Im doing the right thing :-)

Comment

I tend to cook a big piece of meat in the slow cooker for about 12 hours to ensure it's very nice and tender so you may be better cooking it for a bit longer but obviously turning the temp up should help. You probably already know but don't keep opening the lid all the time as it increases the cooking time quite a lot as the heat escapes.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Its not even a big piece of Brisket not even a Kilo. I have turned it up to high and will give it till 7.30 - no peaking :-)

Comment

Final update on yesterdays Brisket.

Very nice, could really taste the Bay Leaves, used the cooking water juices to make gravy, just whizzed it up with my hand blender and added a bit of Bisto to thicken, heavenly gravy.

The one thing I have learnt is that even though the piece of meat was not that big it took longer than I expected to cook, 8 hours is not long enough. Next time I will put it in at night before I go to bed so it can cook for about 12 hours.

Thank you to everyone who has posted and help me on this :-)

Comment

way to go. now you have found the cooker can be fun and usefull I expect you are on your way and many more trials will follow. eat your out Jamie Oliver and all those other so called top chefs. this is how to prepare real grub.

Comment

Do any of you have tips on the amount of liquid really needed in the slow cooker. I've not had any problems with mine but my daughter says her things are always too sloppy. Its a standing joke in her house now Sloppy Slow cook Sunday because she teaches on a Sunday so uses the slow cooker but her OH says its too sloppy. She follows recipes to the rule whereas I'm a do as you feel cook,so she isn't going wrong there Any suggestions. She is in Dubai and it is quite warm even now but surely that shouldn't make any difference.

Comment

Brisket is what my Mum used to slow cook. She didn't have a 'slow cooker' but used a saucepan. It was always delicious.
                        Being 'modern' I always regarded brisket as a cheap meal and 'thinks I' I can afford a better cut. Wrong!! All my life I have roasted the better cuts of beef, rare, medium and sometimes blue. Always disappointing. A couple of months ago I bought a huge joint of silverside. The butcher recommended slow cook (because it doesn't have fat residue in the meat). It was the bestest roast beef I have ever tasted. From now on unless I can afford a rib or sirloin I will always cook beef slowly. Topside, top rump, silverside are all joints that benefit from a slowly slowly does it.

Comment

Originally posted by wollyanna View Post
                          Do any of you have tips on the amount of liquid really needed in the slow cooker. I've not had any problems with mine but my daughter says her things are always too sloppy. Its a standing joke in her house now Sloppy Slow cook Sunday because she teaches on a Sunday so uses the slow cooker but her OH says its too sloppy. She follows recipes to the rule whereas I'm a do as you feel cook,so she isn't going wrong there Any suggestions. She is in Dubai and it is quite warm even now but surely that shouldn't make any difference.
                          Tell her to put less fluid in, or to remove the solids, thicken the sauce and combine everything again afterwards - that's what the Slow Cooker Books advise.

I wouldn't be without a Slow Cooker!
                          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X