Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ginger Cake

Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone has any great ginger cake recipes they could post please?

My whole family (me included) love ginger and I wanted to make one tomorrow as a treat.

Thank you!!

PS It can incorperate ground, fresh or chrystalised or all three

175 g butter
    175 g soft brown sugar
    175 g golden syrup
    200 ml milk
    2 eggs, whisked
    325 g self-raising flour
    2 tsp ground ginger
    1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda

Heat oven to Gas 2, 150°C, 300°F.
    Butter and line a 1kg (2lb) loaf tin with baking paper.
    Melt butter, sugar and syrup in a pan on a low heat,
    mix so that the sugar has melted into the butter and syrup.
    remove from the heat, add the milk and blend until smooth,
    add the eggs and mix in.
    fold in the flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda,
    pour into the prepared loaf tin.
    Bake for 1 hour, then cover with baking paper and bake for another 30 minutes.
    insert a knife into the middle and it should come out clean.
    Remove cake from the oven and leave for 5 minutes, then turn out of the baking tin and cool.
    If possible, wrap cake in greaseproof paper and leave it in a tin to enrich for a week as it improves with age,
    (I suggest you double the amount of mixture and make 2)
    ( or 3 or 4) it is delicious.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Yorkshire Farmhouse Ginger Cake

Heat the oven, and grease the tin(s);

Gas 3, 325°F, 160°C, Moderate.

Grease either; 23cm/9inch square, 25cm/10inch round, 19x29cm/8x12inch dripping tin or two 1kg/2lb loaf tins.

In a small pan;

100g/4oz butter/marg
      100g/4oz golden syrup
      125g/5oz dark treacle
      100g/4oz granulated sugar

Melt gently, and put aside to cool.

Sift together into a large bowl;

275g/10oz plain flour
      ½ teaspoon salt
      1 level teasp. bicarb. of soda
      2 teasp. ground ginger
      1 teasp. cinnamon

In a jug beat together;

1 egg
      225ml/7-8 fluid ounces sour milk. (Unsour will do though)

Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the contents of the pan, then beat in the egg and milk. Pour into the prepared tin(s) and bake for about an hour. (Could take up to 15 mins longer in loaf tins)
      Last edited by SarzWix; 07-11-2009, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Personally I think the secret of a good ginger cake is tripling the amount of ginger the recipe suggests, and adding chopped-up crystallised ginger (or ginger in syrup) as well. Mmmm yum. Let us know how it went down...

Reb

Comment

My first attempt at the previous was quite scrumptious I am told. It went before I could sample it. Next time I will add extra ginger (for my taste) and walnuts and maybe glace cherries............

Comment

Originally posted by Reb Williams View Post
            Personally I think the secret of a good ginger cake is tripling the amount of ginger the recipe suggests, and adding chopped-up crystallised ginger (or ginger in syrup) as well. Mmmm yum. Let us know how it went down...

Reb

I made Weekend Wellies recipe, but added crystelised ginger just for the extra zing!
            It looks great, but am following your advise and leaving it to marinate...or until OH cant resist it any longer....
            Sarzwiz I am going to try yours too but i didnt have any black treacle

Thank you for the recipes and replies, great as usual

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X