No announcement yet.

pumpkin soup recipe needed please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cancel it all. The curry tastes like bile I think it is deffo my worst culinary experiment ever.

The hens are enjoying the remainder of the pumpkin
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

OOh shirl, keep perservering with the pumpkins, you will find one to suit your families taste.
      Just sweat onions, I tend to roast pumpkins or squash, along with garlic and then add to the onions. Then add any spices you like really? Gonger is good, cumin, garam masala, coriander....Then add stock, depends how thick you like the soup? Whizz it all up. you can then add a dollup of natural yoghurt, creme fraiche etc. A little finely chopped chilli is good too. Experiment, experement.!!!! Can you tell I love them, you an substitute any recipe with BNS or sweet potatoe too. I will have a liik for tried and tested for you, unless you have given up? Hope not!
      http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

Don't panic, just given up with this pumpkin. I have one of my own still growing so will try again with that.
        Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 07-11-2009, 11:20 AM.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Do remember to use sweet pumpkins and not the ones grown for Hallowe'n, they taste awful. I always put a chopped up large cooking apple in my Pumpkin soup, it seems to counteract the sweetness a bit.

Comment

Bryn Williams made pumpkin soup on Saturday Kitchen this morning - he even made a bit of a thing about using the rind of a parmesan, like wot Rhona suggested on her post t'other day regarding "secret" cooking tips.

Maybe Bryn's a Grape...

Anyhoo, here's the recipe (a little late I know):

BBC - Food - Recipes: Pumpkin and parmesan soup with ceps
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
              he even made a bit of a thing about using the rind of a parmesan, like wot Rhona suggested on her post t'other day regarding "secret" cooking tips.

Nigel Slater said about using parmisan rind in Simple Suppers too....

Comment

Both these are good and no tomatoes were harmed in the maling of these soups.

Pumpkin soup
                By Valentine Warner
                From What to Eat Now

Ingredients
                1 x 4kg/8lb 13oz pumpkin
                125g/4oz butter
                2 medium onions, finely chopped
                1 cinnamon stick
                freshly grated nutmeg
                salt and freshly ground black pepper
                1.7 litres/3 pints chicken stock (vegetarians may substitute vegetable stock)
                3 tablespoons sherry
                Method
                1. Cut the top off the pumpkin and set aside. Scoop out the seeds and fibres from the middle and discard.
                2. Using a sharp knife and a spoon, carefully hollow out the pumpkin, removing the flesh and setting aside. (It is imperative that you do not cut right up to the inside of the skin or pierce it. Leave 2cm/1in of flesh all around the inside.)
                3. Roughly chop the scooped-out pumpkin flesh.
                4. Melt the butter in a large pan with a lid over a low heat and add the onions. Cook the onions gently for about 15 minutes, until they are softened and golden-brown.
                5. Add the pumpkin flesh, the cinnamon and nutmeg, and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Increase the heat to medium and cover with the lid. Cook for 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the base from burning, until the pumpkin is cooked through.
                6. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Transfer the soup to a food processor in batches and blend until smooth.
                7. Return the soup to the pan and bring to a low simmer and cook for a further half an hour.
                8. Forty-five minutes before eating, preheat the oven to 170C/335F/Gas 3.
                9. Pour the soup into the hollow pumpkin shell, add the sherry and stir to combine.
                10. Place the reserved pumpkin 'lid' onto the pumpkin and place onto a large baking tray. Cook in the oven for about 45 minutes, to bring the soup up to temperature.
                11. To serve, carefully remove from the oven and serve the soup in the pumpkin at the table. Ladle into bowls and serve.

Roast squash and sweet potato soup with buttermilk blue cheese sauce
                By Nigella Lawson

Ingredients
                1 onion, roughly chopped
                1 butternut squash, unpeeled, halved, seeds scraped out, sliced into 2.5cm/1in x 2.5cm/1in cubes
                500g/1lb 2oz sweet potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 2.5cm/1in thick rings
                60ml/2fl oz olive oil
                1 tsp ground cinnamon
                ½ tsp ground nutmeg
                1.5 litres/2 pints 13fl oz vegetable stock
                125ml/4oz marsala wine
                salt and freshly ground black pepper
                To serve
                125g/4oz blue cheese, crumbled
                250ml/9fl oz buttermilk
                Method
                1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
                2. Place the onion, chopped butternut squash and sweet potato onto a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with the cinnamon and nutmeg. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour, or until tender.
                3. Allow the vegetables to cool slightly, then place half into a food processor and add 500ml/17fl oz of the vegetable stock. Blend to a purée and transfer to a large pan. Repeat with the remaining roasted vegetables and 500ml/17fl oz more of the stock - transfer the purée to the pan.
                4. Add the remaining 500ml/17fl oz of vegetable stock to the food processor and stir to catch any remnants of the vegetable purée, then pour into the pan.
                5. Add the marsala wine and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add a little more water if the soup is too thick for your liking.
                6. To serve, place the blue cheese and buttermilk into a clean food processor and blend to a paste. Transfer the clue cheese sauce to a jug or bowl.
                7. Ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle some of the blue cheese into each bowl. Leave the sauce on the table for your guests to add more if they wish.

Comment

The Valentine Warner one is in this months GYO mag too (I think).

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                    Bryn Williams made pumpkin soup on Saturday Kitchen this morning - he even made a bit of a thing about using the rind of a parmesan, like wot Rhona suggested on her post t'other day regarding "secret" cooking tips.

Maybe Bryn's a Grape...

Anyhoo, here's the recipe (a little late I know):

BBC - Food - Recipes: Pumpkin and parmesan soup with ceps
                    Cooked this tonight. Gets a big thumbs up from the Waynes.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X