new veggies

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new veggies

Hiya Im trying to broaden mine and hubbys veggie horizons. So Im thinking of trying some celeriac and sweet potato. I am trying to convince him to try some swede (I already eat that) and I want to try some squashes. I know of the obvious butternut. Are there any more easily available in supermarkets and what do they taste like. He is a fussy eater and will only eat quite mild tasting foods so any ideas. Im more adventourous with food but I cant even add any types of herbs or seasoning to his food. he mainly lives off of roast potatos and baked beans hehe. Anyway any info would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if its in the wrong place.
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamiesjourney

Please give blood and if possible please give bone marrow.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Subscriber to the mojo mailing list

I'm just eating some Crown Prince squash that I grew, lovely taste, but I guess all taste it subjective. Try him on Jerusalem Artichokes, I am a big fan of these babies, I use them as you would spuds
    aka
    Suzie

Comment

Celeriac tastes like celery and quite mild I reckon. I've tried to grow them but the bulbs have not swollen very well this year. They need a lot of water and September was too dry maybe. Buy some in the supermarket to try them out for taste beforehand?

Turnips are quite mild too, especially mashed with some cheese or carrots. What about parsnips? They are very sweet tasting, especially roasted. I always like to recommend kohlrabi as this has a mild cabbage flavour and nice texture. It's easy to grow and not available in supermarkets.

Sweet potato are a great alternative to roast potato, much sweeter.
      Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Don't expect sweet potato to taste anything like normal potato!
        And don't serve squash on its own, like you would peas. The taste is too unusual I think: it needs to be put in a curry, a soup or something (I'm guessing he won't eat curry though).

Celeriac is good if you mash it half-and-half with potato (ditto swede) and lots of butter to hide the flavour.

Oh, and grated melted cheese improves everything a great deal.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Im gonna use squash for a soup for myself and no he wont eat a curry. I may give up on the squash with him. He uses ketchup to hide things as he cant eat cheese. God hes a pain huh hehe. So swede and possibly celeriac it is. Oh and asda doesnt really have much of a selection these days.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Comment

Jax, can you add your location to your profile please? How old is hubby? And why does he have such a limited diet - medical reasons or just never tried anything else? Does he eat soup - this is a great way to get veg into him.

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
              Try him on Jerusalem Artichokes, I am a big fan of these babies, I use them as you would spuds
              I'm a big fan of them too but it is worth noting: on some people (including me) they have an unwanted side effect in the form of terrible, terrible farts.

Sorry but it's true.

Reb

Surviving a Good Life childhood - Grow Your Own Cows

Comment

They had Harlequin squash in Morrisons the other day, always grow them as they are really lovely and to me, much tastier than butternut although not tried a bought one so homegrown may be different.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Reb Williams View Post
                  I'm a big fan of them too but it is worth noting: on some people (including me) they have an unwanted side effect in the form of terrible, terrible farts.
                  I'm one of the lucky ones and thankfully so is SD
                  aka
                  Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                    I'm one of the lucky ones and thankfully so is SD
                    I'm not risking them as OH is bad enough normally

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Celeriac and apple soup....yum
                      I cant get enough squashes - we use them constantly when in season from curry, soup and the crowning glory: pumpkin (or squash) and ginger cake.
                      I made 12 of these this year and my daughter, whose 6 declared they are her favourite ever ever cake

I have to say though I have only ever eaten pumpkin, butternutt and cheesenut's so cant comment on the other ones.
                      I am looking to grow some others and when I am elegible to take part in the seed swap I have some cheesenutt seeds to swap!
                      Last edited by northepaul; 05-11-2009, 05:10 PM. Reason: spelling!

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                        Jax, can you add your location to your profile please? How old is hubby? And why does he have such a limited diet - medical reasons or just never tried anything else? Does he eat soup - this is a great way to get veg into him.

He is 26 and he has a funny diet cuz of his upbringing. His parents are the wierdest eaters in the world and so he never had the oppurtunity to try new foods and was always told they were bad. At least hes trying now! No he doesnt eat soup but Im trying to convince him cuz I make masses of soup.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X