Your Best 'Secret' Cooking Tip...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by POTBOY View Post
    the porcini mushroom is a wonderful thing i only wish i could eat them fresh from the ground lightly fried in a little butter and garlic. mmm
    Why can't you? I absolutely love them, found a load last week down in the New Forest, ate loads and dried even more

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
      Nigella.
      Now, Zazen - is that Lawson or seed?
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        Why can't you? I absolutely love them, found a load last week down in the New Forest, ate loads and dried even more
        i live near swansea in south wales and if i knew where they were i would be there now with a big basket and a knife.

i have tried looking it up on the net regarding best locations etc but havent really found anything close enough to where i live.

i'm also very jealous of you now.
        "Example is not the main thing in influencing others, it is the only thing."

Comment

Originally posted by POTBOY View Post
          my secret tip, if it is one, is that i grind dried porcini mushrooms in my little electric herb/coffee grinder to a dust/powder type consistency
          That's a fantastic one. I can imagine what a versatile ingredient that must. I do buy dried mushrooms and snip them into many things but a porcini dust is a fabulous idea. What sort/where do you buy from?
          I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Originally posted by danmon_81 View Post
            my secret ingredient in most sauces is Tomatoe Ketchup -
            mine is Marmite
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

And my secret ingredient is a few finely chopped capers added to many dishes. Stews, casseroles, pasta sauces - you wouldn't believe the difference.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by danmon_81 View Post
                A stick of cinnamon will always lift a chilli dish to new heights.....

I shouldnt tell you this but my secret ingredient in most sauces is Tomatoe Ketchup - adds a sweetness!

A splash of vinegar (white wine, balsamic) is generally the missing something in many pasta/ tomatoe sauces!
                When using tomato ketchup in a tomato sauce/bolognese/chilli etc a squeeze/dollop into the hot pan just as the onions have softened, but before adding the rest of the ingredients, caramelizes the sugars, giving an extra depth of flavour.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhona View Post
                  That's a fantastic one. I can imagine what a versatile ingredient that must. I do buy dried mushrooms and snip them into many things but a porcini dust is a fabulous idea. What sort/where do you buy from?
                  i mostly get dried Porcini/Ceps, i'll have to check where i got them from last time but you can get them at a good price from the link below, their about £20 for 500g, if you buy from the super market you can expect to pay about £3 for 25g, which would work out at about £60 for 500g.

As i said they last for ages so theres no worry in storing them.

OnLine Deli - GetDeli
                  "Example is not the main thing in influencing others, it is the only thing."

Comment

Well I've learned more than I already knew just from reading this thread.

Similar to a few other suggestions, I add either Mango Chutney or Balsamic Vinegar to a bolgnese. The Mango gives it a fruity sweetness, the Balsamic gives it a rich depth, but I wouldn't do the two together.

Anyone got a secret to make all the washing up clean itself? That's my least favourite job and I've still not convinced myself to buy a dishwasher.
                    Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
                    Snadger - Director of Poetry
                    RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
                    Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
                    Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
                    piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Don't talk to me about dishwashers. We have one but OH loves washing up!! So the result stalemate. I put things in the washer, he takes them out and washes them. I know I shouldn't complain but I feel he wants a pat on the back for effort and I see it as a total waste of time. "Women" you never please them I hear you say.

I have chopped up some chilli peppers and seeped them in oil. Can you then use the seeds as well as the flesh and oil.

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
                        've still not convinced myself to buy a dishwasher.
                        Buy one... they are beautiful, beautiful things. *sighs and looks lovingly at dishwasher*
                        I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

My other secret ingredient is cocoa into chilli.

Comment

See I just add a couple of blocks of good dark chocolate. Maybe cocoa is the more cost effective option...
                            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                              See I just add a couple of blocks of good dark chocolate. Maybe cocoa is the more cost effective option...
                              I made a pretty disappointing chilli last night. Might have to try one of these to 'perk it up a bit'.
                              Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
                              Snadger - Director of Poetry
                              RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
                              Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
                              Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
                              piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
                                Well I've learned more than I already knew just from reading this thread.

Similar to a few other suggestions, I add either Mango Chutney or Balsamic Vinegar to a bolgnese. The Mango gives it a fruity sweetness, the Balsamic gives it a rich depth, but I wouldn't do the two together.

Anyone got a secret to make all the washing up clean itself? That's my least favourite job and I've still not convinced myself to buy a dishwasher.
                                Leave it on the floor for the dog!

(PS I don't own a dog!)
                                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X