Romanesco Cauliflower

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romanesco Cauliflower

Can this be used in the same way as a white cauliflower?

I got one in my veg box this week, and was thinking of making my cauliflower and cheese soup....

I'm growing Romanesco from seed this year so I've got out the packet to have a look! It's actually a Broccoli and the seed packet recommends steaming, baking, stir-fry, soup or casserole - so nice and versatile.

In case you're interested this recipe tip is also on the packet:

Soften onion and crushed garlic over a low heat. Arrange in a dish with mushrooms and broccoli florets. Prepare a classic cheese sauce, pour over the vegetables, top with copped pancetta and grated parmesan. Place in the oven and bake. Delicious served with pork.

Mmmmm my first one is nearly ready - can't wait!
    Life is too short for drama & petty things!
    So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

I'm sure GYO gave away a pack of Romanesco seeds years ago, when the magazine first came out. I didn't have growing room then (still bought the mag though!) so I must have them somewhere. Always thought it looked delish.

I suspect you could treat it as broccoli or cauli, depending the recipe. I've got an Italian recipe somewhere where it's cooked with pancetta - I'll try to dig it out.
      I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

It is softer than cauliflower so does not need the same amount of cooking. Treating it like the broccoli it is will yield the best results.
        They really are fantastic, like little castles. I grew some this year but they were quick to bolt. Won't stop me growing them again though!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X