No announcement yet.

Roast potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd better practice. I think I'm doing my first Christmas lunch this year for my very foodie family. I've never cooked roast potatoes before. They'll not hold back if I get it wrong, bless 'em...
    I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Rhona enjoy practising, yum

I always do enough roast potatoes to freeze so if we fancy chops, steaks or sausage it only takes a few minutes in the oven to re-crisp them.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
        Rhona enjoy practising, yum

I always do enough roast potatoes to freeze so if we fancy chops, steaks or sausage it only takes a few minutes in the oven to re-crisp them.
        Cor, I didn't know you could freeze roasties (I know you can buy them commercially but these are pants IMO.)

Comment

I bring the spuds to the boil, simmer for 5 mins (at this point put the roasting tin in the oven with either olive oil or goose fat in it). Drain the spuds and dry off over a low heat then put them into the hot fat. If I am using goose fat I add nothing, if olive oil then I sprinkle liberally with garlic powder and sage. Turn the spuds after a half hour (do them in a really hot oven for a good crisp outside and fluffy middle). Best spuds (in my mind) for roasting are King Edwards.
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

My ex-Chef hubby agrees with you Shirl - must be Eddies. He par-boils, then shakes them about like crazy to rough the surfaces up, before bunging in the roasting tin with whatever meat we're having. He insists on Goose Fat too! My Mum tried to convert him to Duck Fat, but without success.

Actually got some on the go now and they smell soooooo good - or is it the leg of Lamb that they're nestling up to?!

Sorry, can't find my interrobang LOL!
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

wiki interrobang the right click on the font's at the bottom and copy
              Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Mine are smelling lovely! Home grown of course, in lard coz I havent got any duck fat......blow the diet!
                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Just about to dish up mine done in goose fat
                  Last edited by FionaH; 11-10-2009, 06:43 PM.
                  WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Ok - so I cheat with roasties - after discovering just how good frozen ones were I've never looked back - BUT - I do tend to add a sprinkling of whatever 'meat' is being eaten with the roasties an equivalent gravy powder or compatible herbs/spices mix.

I do this with (oven)chips as well - just to give them a little zing - and it goes down well!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X