Very gingery ginger cake

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very gingery ginger cake

I mentioned on Facebook yesterday that I'd been doing loads of baking and I'd made this. I was asked if I'd post the recipe "somewhere", so here it is

Ingredients:
    125g (4oz) black treacle
    125g (4oz) golden syrup
    100g (4oz) unsalted butter (can use margarine or a combination of fat + lard)
    225g (8oz) plain flour
    1/4 (that's a quarter!) tsp bicarbonate of soda
    1 tsp mixed spice
    3 tsps ground ginger
    100g (4oz) dark soft brown sugar
    150mls (1/4 pint) milk
    50g (2oz) stem ginger in syrup (chopped into small pieces)

Method:
    Grease and line a 7" square cake tin (or use 2 1lb loaf tins like I did!)
    Put the treacle, syrup and butter into a saucepan and melt together over a low heat. Sift the flour, bicarb and spices together into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar. Pour the melted butter, milk and treacle/syrup mixture into the flour and beat well till it's a thick pouring consistency. Stir in the chopped ginger pieces. Pour into the prepared tin (or tins) and bake for 1 - 1hour 15mins at 170oC (325oF, Gas 3) or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool in the tin for about an hour then completely cool on a rack. Wrap in greaseproof paper and foil and store for a couple of days (if you can) before eating.

The cake is lovely and sticky, a bit like Jamaica Ginger Cake, but better!
    Last edited by MaureenHall; 09-11-2009, 12:49 PM. Reason: missed a bit!!! oooooops
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Brilliant. I can see a few additions to the shopping list next time we go so I can have a bash at this one.
    Kirsty b xx

Comment

Ooh...I've got everything for that. MIght give it a go tomorrow. I love everything gingery!
      I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Well with a title like that, I've just got to make some, Thanks Auntie Mo I love ginger.

Comment

Ooh, sounds delish. Just need to get some stem ginger in.

Comment

Mo, when does the milk go in please? i've read it 10 times and can't see it, thanks
            The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Sorry for the delay Hans Mum, I've just been looking through the recipes for inspiration and come across your query. I should have put that the milk goes in at the same time as the treacle mixture. I'll amend the recipe just in case anyone else has a problem. Did you make it?
              My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

This is almost Parkin.... traditional yorkshire gingerbread!!

The only difference is that I have half flour and half oatmeal

I put the milk in with the sugar, treacle etc

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
                  Sorry for the delay Hans Mum, I've just been looking through the recipes for inspiration and come across your query. I should have put that the milk goes in at the same time as the treacle mixture. I'll amend the recipe just in case anyone else has a problem. Did you make it?
                  I did. I tried to keep it a few days as recommended but once the secret was out it was gone. I always have to tweak recipes a little so added a handful of walnuts. Resounding success.

Later today I having a go at Malt Loaf.
                  Last edited by Brengirl; 09-11-2009, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
                    Thanks Mo, i did that & yes i've made it 3 times since, OH thinks its fab

Comment

WOW!! Now I have to make another Ginger cake
                      Brillient and sounds YUMM
                      Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Uggh cant find black treacle anywhere!!

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
                          Uggh cant find black treacle anywhere!!
                          i got some in morrisons a couple of weeks ago (& it was on offer at 50p tin)

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Mum View Post
                            i got some in morrisons a couple of weeks ago (& it was on offer at 50p tin)

Wow thats lucky, we dont really have any proper Morrisons down here - stuck with Co-op Tesco and Sainsburys. (Non had any black treacle!!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X