Donkey Punch Chili Sauce Recipe

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donkey Punch Chili Sauce Recipe

I grew Thai Dragon chilis from T&M this year. They are RIDICULOUSLY HOT and 100's grow on each plant, about 2.5-3.5" long. I've dried plenty
    What to do with all the chilis

but being a fan of Encona, last night I decided to make hot sauce! This was typical "bodge it all in the pan" recipe i.e. no real weights and measures.

In one stockpot:

1" layer of de-stalked, roughly chopped chilis (Thai Dragon for me).

Rougly 3/4 of 1" of banana shallot (or any onions, shallots).

2 cups of Sea Salt.

2 cups of molasses brown sugar (found in the back of the cupboad)

1.5 cups of crushed dried chili

(Quite) A few large tablespoons of each of the following: Garlic powder, smoked paprika, coriander, cumin, English mustard powder.

A tablespoon of powdered cloves.

Covered with 1 & 3/4 bottles (500ml) cider vinegar (Keeping back 1/4 of a bottle).

n.b. keep the bottles to store some of the sauce.

Slow simmer, lid on pan, for 30-45 minutes.

Use a hand blender to liquidise.

Made a corn flour paste - 2 large table spoons, wetted with remaining vinegar. Stir in.

And then bottle!

The colour is a very sinister volcanic red. Tasted a little and it numbed my mouth and my nose!

I am going to do a taste-test on a West Indian friend.

1 inch layer of Thai Dragon chillis??!
    That is going to be seriously hot I grew them this year and one makes MrH sweat!
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I like your style I might have to try growing Thai Dragons next year. I made a similar jar of sauce, but used one Naga Morich, it's probably no where near as hot as yours but it's still got a good tang.
      Last edited by HotStuff; 01-10-2009, 01:29 PM.
      There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Blimey. I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.
        Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
        >
        >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

2 cups of salt, really? that's a lot
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 01-10-2009, 03:29 PM.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            2 cups of salt, really? that's a lot
            like you're going to taste the salt
            don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
            remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Actually I think it was closer to a cup. As the sauce will be used sparingly the salt content doesn't matter so much. It should act as a preservative and also break open the chilis to release the heat.

Tabasco is fermented in salt: http://www.tabasco.com/tabasco_history/hot_pepper.cfm

If anything I put a wee bit too much sugar in, and I don't think the cornstarch is necessary, or I should have used less as the sauce is very thick. I'm having to use the ketcup action to release the sauce from the bottle.

p.s. I used the back of an Encona bottle a my reference guide - just guessed the quantities. I used to work for a food science company, one of the divisions was contracted to design ready meals amongst other things. The amount of salt that goes into processed food is unbelievable! There's so little of the proper ingredients to give taste that salt, msg etc is needed to bring out any flavour at all. It's then I decided to grow and cook my own food as much as possible!
              Last edited by stupot; 02-10-2009, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X