How Do You Eat Your Squash??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ginger ninger View Post
    I'm roasting mine with some Rosemary, Sage, Garlic and Red Onion (all home grown) with just a drizzle of olive oil, then I'm going to make a risotto with it. Were having home made Rosemary & Garlic soda bread to dip up all the yummy juice....As they say on the advert.
    "How do you eat yours".??
    That sounds fab Ginger. I am definitely going to try this one out. Cheers

I usually chop it into wedge shapes and then par cook by steaming. I then
    sprinkle with salt and black pepper. I chuck the wedges in a cooking pan full of very hot veg oil to brown them and crisp them on the outside. I drain them and put them on a cooking tray in the oven and finish them off by cooking for a further 20-30 mins.

Comment

Originally posted by shushkin! View Post
      I usually chop it into wedge shapes and then par cook by steaming. I then
      sprinkle with salt and black pepper. I chuck the wedges in a cooking pan full of very hot veg oil to brown them and crisp them on the outside. I drain them and put them on a cooking tray in the oven and finish them off by cooking for a further 20-30 mins.
      I'm doing squash Friday night, I'm having the girls round for drinks and finger food so I might try that one shushkin, I thing it would be nice served with a few dips..yum!

Comment

OMG - this is getting too much for me! 2 reasons
        a) I've lost my low fat, low cal, max taste spicy roasted squash soup recipe and it was sooo good (anyone else got it from SW about 6 years ago?)
        b) I gotta grow ONLY squash next year on the lottie - (well, nearly!)
        am I right in thinking that all the cooking genius is happening with squash recipes?
        Mine did so well on the lottie this year it was so rewarding and if I can make it last into the winter it is going to be a prime crop!
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I just love squash it's so versatile

Like many people above I often roast it, ringing the changes by tossing in various spice/herb mixtures first

Also use it in soups, purees, rissotto, curries etc

It makes a fantastic Rosti mixed with potato, adds colour . flavour and crispness

It's great in casseroles, I usually add some early which breaks down and thickens the cooking liquid and gives a good colour - then I add some small cubes nearer the end which remain whole

Squash also works well in cakes and biscuits, I've got some recipes with grated raw squash and some with cooked pureed squash added

Anybody else think squash is far superior to pumkin or marrow??

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X