Christmas Pud

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Pud

I unwrapped my christmas pud the other day and found the sides were a little mouldy. Panicked and then quickly applied vinegar before switching to lemon juice (thinking that might taste better in a pudding) and liberally dosed it with rum before rewrapping it.
    I have checked it since and it's now fine however it's playing on my mind a bit. Will it still be ok to eat?? Or should I be making another one?
    The sister in law is coming to stay over christmas and the last thing I need is her smile of triumph as the pudding is cut open to reveal a heart of mould.....or worse that I poison someone!!!!

Now you've got me panicking about mine - it's been all wrapped up since October and I've not looked at it. Me thinks I'd better check before I see the look of horror on the in-laws faces when it turns out green and furry on Christmas Day.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by MissyMoo View Post
      I unwrapped my christmas pud the other day and found the sides were a little mouldy. Panicked and then quickly applied vinegar before switching to lemon juice (thinking that might taste better in a pudding) and liberally dosed it with rum before rewrapping it.
      I have checked it since and it's now fine however it's playing on my mind a bit. Will it still be ok to eat?? Or should I be making another one?
      The sister in law is coming to stay over christmas and the last thing I need is her smile of triumph as the pudding is cut open to reveal a heart of mould.....or worse that I poison someone!!!!
      Do you not get on wih your sister in law? Or is she the sort of person to pour scorn instead of cream on homemade puds?

Kirsty
      Kirsty b xx

Comment

This happened to me a few years back. Took off the mouldy bits, reheated and it was absolutely fine. Probably should have carried a DoH warning anyway given the amount of alcohol in most of my seasonal fare. No poorly tums or anything. I think my folks were with us that christmas and no one seemed to notice. Phew!

Long way of saying - it's more than likely ok so don't panic.
        Bright Blessings
        Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Thanks guys. I will try not to worry about it and simply ply it with rum and other bits from time to time (one for the pudd....two for me!! )

Kirsty - to be fair I don't really know my sister in law that well but she is loud, overbearing, opinionated, controlling and likes everything her way or not at all.
          Hmm....not so different to me in some respects!!! Probably why she irritates me so!!!

Comment

Hi Missmoo
            Id Have a back up plan make some mince pies with rum that way no one will know. You can always have a look before she comes
            Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
            Dobby

Comment

keep breathing girls

Seriously,a little penicillin mould does no one any harm, and if you ply them all with enough alcohol they wont notice (works for me anyway!)

Comment

Quite agree madderbat, unless you feed the cake plus mould to guinea pigs who, like goats, will eat anything. Get a rather toxic/dead guinea pig then.
                Bright Blessings
                Earthbabe

Comment

Would just like to update and say that after moving the pudding to a different (cooler) cupboard and liberally applying various spirits we had no more mould problems.

It turned out to be the best pudding I've ever done. Moist, tasty, fruity, thick......ooooo it was scrummy.

And since I did nothing different to last year it must have been the mould!!!!

Comment

Good call Missy Moo, and interesting thread - thanks for the update
                    SSx
                    not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

Thanks MM. Glad it was good whatever the reason. Difficult to remember how to do that one though for the future .
                      Bright Blessings
                      Earthbabe

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X