Shark error?!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shark error?!

Went to purchase some meat today and took Aranthos with me. He spotted some shark steaks in the frozen section and expressed an interest in sampling these. As they were reasonably priced (£3.99 for a kilo) I got a pack and they are now in the freezer waiting for Friday.

Anyhoo, younger son decided he wanted to see a picture of what shark the steaks were from so we looked it up. Turns out it is a blue shark which is near threatened from over-fishing. OOPS!!

Well, I can't really do much about it now but I won't be buying them again, however I could do with a pointer on how to cook them.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Things You’ll Need:

Shark meat
    Carrots
    Pineapple slices
    Skewers
    Orange juice
    Soy sauce
    Butter
    Foil
    Lime juice
    Lime zest
    Minced ginger
    Maple syrup
    Honey
    Plastic storage bags
    Olive oil
    French dressing
    Salt
    French fried onions
    Parmesan cheese
    Step 1:
    Broil it. Make shark kabobs with shark meat, carrots and pineapple with a marinade. Cut 1/2 inch chunks of carrots and blanch. Alternate carrot pieces, shark and pineapple until there are 4 pieces of fish on each skewer. For the marinade, mix 1/2 c. orange juice, 3 T. soy sauce and 1/4 c. melted butter. Suspend skewers over foil and baste marinade onto kabobs. Broil for 4 minutes, turn over, baste with marinade and cook another 4 minutes. Serve over cooked rice.
    Step 2:
    Grill it. In cold water, rinse 1-inch thick shark steaks then pat the shark steaks dry. In a bowl, combine 1/3 c. lime juice, 1 t. lime zest, 1/4 t. minced ginger, 1 t. freshly ground pepper, 2 cloves garlic minced, 1/2 olive oil and 1 T. maple syrup or honey. Toss shark to coat in the mixture. Cover the shark meat with plastic wrap or in a sealed plastic storage bag. Let it marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature. Take shark out of the marinade (reserving it) and grill the shark steak on medium heat for five minutes on each side. Brush with reserved marinade during cooking.
    Step 3:
    Bake it. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place shark fillets in shallow dish. Combine 1/2 c. French dressing, 2 T. lemon juice and 1/4 t. salt. Cover the fish with the sauce and marinade for 30 minutes. Take out of the marinade and put the shark in a greased baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes. Crush one can of French fried onions and mix with 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle mixture over the fish and bake five more minutes.
    Step 4:
    Pan-sear it. Heat a little olive oil in a fry pan over medium heat. Season the shark steak with salt and pepper. Place steak in the pan once oil is smoking. Do not move the piece of fish; allow to caramelize and sear. Cook approximately 6-7 minutes on each side. Cook on medium heat consistently, as higher heat will cause the shark to be tough.
    Tips & Warnings

Have your fish vendor fillet or cut steaks accordingly, if you are not experienced in this area. They will remove the skin, bones and bloodlines from the fish.
    Shark is high in mercury, so eat it sparingly.
    Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

Well its dead now, so you might as well eat it.....I'd cook it like sword fish, oven bake in tin foil, rub with a small splash of olive oil, sprig of rosemary, slice of lemon, make into a parcel, put on ovenproof tray, bake for 15/20 mins in hot oven, middle shelf...serve with fresh green salad, crusty bread and a nice cold bottle of crisp white wine...Done

Comment

Nah....make it simple!!!...

.....marinade in oil and thyme and salt for 2 hrs..then squeeze lemon juice and BBQ until only just cooked.
        Wonderful with cooked toms and salad!!....maybe it's not blue shark....ask them!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks folks.

Mo, that is a lot of fuss for one dish (or is it different ways and I am being thick?)
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

3 different ways of cooking it lol

Comment

It says on the packet that it is prionace glaucia which Wikipedia tells me is almost endangered (guess that isn't so bad)
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

Where did you buy it from??
                Why not write to hem and express your concern???
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

It was our local Mac's Meat Market. They sell super quality meat and not usually anything that is endangered. They don't stock cod for example. I expect they will stop having the shark if either it doesn't sell or it is listed as endangered. I am not sure how I feel about it as they are listed as a shark which will attack man.
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

if man will go into their territory then yep the shark will go for man as a last resort.....lol....

Comment

It's mingin stuff anyway!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Try feeding it to the dog, and if the dog won't eat it as Snadger says:

It's mingin stuff anyway!

Comment

Shark and Marine Conservation - Bite-Back
                          Everything you need to know about why we shouldn't be eating sharks.

Comment

Sharks are beautiful creatures and really for the sake of not eating something that is about as tasty as a tough shoe ......................
                            Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Had it once, years ago, and it was very nice but avoided it of recent years as it's on my list of "don't eat". However seeing as you have already bought it, would be far worse to just throw away. Enjoy.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X