Stuffed Pepper recipe required

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuffed Pepper recipe required

I bought a large back of peppers cheap courtesy of Asda and their 'Woops' counter. I fancy serving them stuffed and wondered if anyone had any tasty recipes that they use.

easy? get their Lemon & Coriander couscous and pop that in.

you can make a rice concoction too .. sauted onions, herbs, bit of Marmite, chopped toms and rice

A bit of grated cheese over everything is always a winner
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Peppers freeze fairly well as well.... I tend to by 'whoopsies' and chop them into 8ths and freeze whole

Comment

Having a Hungarian dad means we were weaned on stuffed peppers with tomato sauce and it's still in my top 5 favourite dishes. They stuff them with a meat mixture though -
        sweat onions and garlic then add some paprika and caraway seeds. add this slightly cooled mixture to minced pork and mix. Stuff the peppers and stand them up in a pan of water. Bring to boil them simmer just until the meat has cooked through. Serve cut in half smothered with a smooth, sweetened passata sauce.
        There is a war going on for your mind. If you are thinking you are winning.

Comment

Anything risottoish (including a rather basic paella) will be good in peppers.
          Top with cheese to keep moisture in......
          You need to 'scald' green peppers if you have a mixture. After removing the insides of the peppers, pour boiling water into any green ones, let them stand a few mins, then drain. It just speeds up the roasting time of the green ones to match the red or yellow.
          for stuffing, measure the volume of space in the peppers. For 20fl oz space (unlikely unless cooking for a large family, divide according to how much space you've got) you will need 6oz rice (arborio or similar is best, but you CAN do it with basmatti), 3/4 pint stock, an onion, couple of cloves of garlic, something meaty (unless serving to vegetarians, then use some interesting seasoning instead) such as 3" chorizo, chopped small (slices as thick as a £1 coin, quartered). Any veg you fancy using (if one pepper is an awkward shape, chop it up and add to the stuffing instead)
          gently fry the onion , garlic and meaty stuff until the onion is very soft. Add rice, and fry until it looks different, add stock and veg, simmer 12 mins, or until the stock is absorbed (for a veggie version, add the seasoning with the stock).
          stuff the peppers with the rice mix, dribble some water or extra stock into the peppers. top with a little grated cheese.
          Place in a roasting tray, with a little water (easiest way is to put the stuffed peppers in the tray before putting water on as above).
          Roast at gas 5 for 30 mins, or until the cheese topping is melted and the peppers look softened around the edges.
          I've had to approximate on cooking times, because I always judge 'done' by eye.
          Last edited by Hilary B; 09-07-2009, 08:41 PM.
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I like to stuff mine with feta cheese and some fresh basil leaves. Drizzle with Chilli infuzed olive oil, and season with ground black pepper. Then simply griddle on the bbq.

Comment

cloves of garlic and halved peppers (skin side up), brushed with olive oil, and grilled / roasted.
              blitz the roasted garlic with the remaining oil and juices from the peppers.
              pile pasta shells or twists mixed with black olive pate, into the peppers.
              season the garlic dressing and drizzle over the pasta.
              top with grated parmesan cheese, and grill till crisp.

it's a nigel slater recipe, can't remember the exact quantities he used, but whenever i've made it there seems room for leeway - it's delish

Comment

i put beef bolognase in mine, topped with loads of cheese.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X