Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone got a recipe for Horseradish Sauce??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone got a recipe for Horseradish Sauce??

I've been keen to make the mother some Horseradish Sauce for ages, but can't find a recipe (Delia has let me down!). Anyone got any ideas??

I won't touch the stuff but the mother loves it, and the stronger the better.........

Have plenty of fresh HR on the allotment.

Thanks!!

CG

I've never made horseradish sauce, so don't know what it'll be like. The only recipes I could find tend to use creme fraisch, cream, soured cream or yogurt, so I guess it's not going to keep well, but here goes:

2tbsp grated horseradish
    150ml soured cream
    pinch of caster sugar
    salt
    fresh ground pepper

Mix the ingredients together and serve chilled.

Richard Mabey gives this recipe:

Mix 1 tsp dry mustard with cold water and blend until smooth. Combine with 6 heaped tbsp grated horseradish and salt and pepper. Allow to stand for a quarter of an hour. Then blend into a cupful of white sauce (or double cream if you do not want it to last especially long.)
    Unfortunately, he fails to suggest how long the white sauce version might last.
    Hope this helps. I had (shop bought) horseradish with dinner last night - certainly cleared the sinuses!

Comment

Thanks for that. Anyone else got any other ideas. Preferably that don't involve cream?? I know the shop-bought ones last for ages!!

CG

Comment

I've got some horseradish and rather than use a recipe of which there are many I was just going to play about with mayonaise,white wine vinegar,sugar, black pepper and a bit of mustard.

No idea of quantities , as I'll just keep tasting it and adding bits til it tastes right!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hello Snadger! HFW says:

piece fresh horseradish root, weighing 200g ish
          250g creme fraiche
          1 dessertspoon strong english mustard
          2 teaspoons wine vinegar

Wash and peel horseradish root and grate it finely. (If I remember in the programme he had tears streaming out of his eyes at this point!).
          Mix together the creme fraiche, mustard and vinegar and then stir in the horseradish to taste. It depends how strong it is as and your own taste.
          Season.

Hope this is of use. DDL
          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Ok, havn't tried any of these yet and they are not sauce's as such but...

Horseradish Relish

1.8 kg tomatoes
            175g celery
            4 onions
            225g grated horseradish
            350g brown sugar
            600ml cider vinegar
            1 1/2 tblsp salt
            2 tsp each of ground allspice, cinnamon and cloves
            4 tblsp mustard seeds
            1 1/2 tblsp dill seeds

Peel n chop tomatoes. Put in sieve n leave to drain for 2 hours. Chop celery and onions. Put preped veg into heavy based sauce pan, add remaining ingredients. Stir over low heat until sugar has dissolved. Bring to boil and simmer, stirring occasionaly for 50 mins, or until veg is tender. Spoon into warm sterilised jars and keep in cool dark place for 2 months to allow flavours to develop.

Horserdish Mustard

50g plain flour
            75g mustard powder
            25g caster sugar
            1 tbsp salt
            75g fresh horseradish
            175ml cider vinegar

Sift flour into mixing bowl, add remaining dry ingredients and mix well. Peel and finely grate horseradish, add to dry ingredients with vinegar and mix to a smooth paste. Spoon into sterilized jars. Store in cool dark place for one week to allow flavours to develop.

Pickled Horseradish

175g fresh horseradish
            350ml strained spiced pickling vinegar
            75g sugar
            1 tsp sea salt

Peel n grate the horseradish. Put the vinegar, sugar and salt into a sauce pan, Stir over a low heat with wooden spoon untill sugar has dissolved then boil for 2 mins, add horseradish and simmer for 1 minute. Pack into sterilized jars and store in cool dark place for one week before using.

Know its not exactly what you were after but may be tastie, all my recipies for horseradish sauce ask for sour cream or similar milk based products

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X