Bombay Potatoes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bombay Potatoes?

Has anyone got a recipe for Bombay Potatoes? I bought some new potatoes just before the home-grown ones were ready, and I need to use them up. We eat curry often enough that Bombay Potatoes seems a good idea, if only I knew what else to add!
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

this is what I use, but do tend to ad-lib depending on what I have in the cupboard.

4 tbsp oil
    1/4 tsp mustard seed/powder
    1/4tsp turmeric
    2 pinches chilli powder
    12oz potatoes boiled and quartered
    pinch of salt
    tin chopped tomatoes
    coriander (dried or fresh chopped)
    onion chopped

Fry onion in oil until soft
    add spices and fry for a bit till all mixed up an smelling lovely
    add tomatoes and spuds, maybe bit of water too if it is a bit dry or if you like yours with a bit of a 'sauce'
    put on a lid and leave it to simmer for about 15 minutes or so.

I tend to add stuff till it looks and tastes right, but this is the basic recipe I use and then go from there.
    Last edited by kirsty b; 05-07-2009, 08:54 PM.
    Kirsty b xx

Comment

I've never measured my curry mixes [which is why none of mine every taste the same], but the above; only I use tomato paste not a tin and add some water for the sauce, plus a pinch of cumin.

Comment

I do a similar one with the kids at school only we add chopped garlic and fresh or lazy chilli with the onion and cumin with the coriander as well.

Comment

Many thanks all, will try that lot with the curry I expect to be cooking tomorrow or Wednesday!
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Failing the Bombay Potatoes recipe, why not try cubing, boiling and draining some, and then add them to whatever curry you've having just after you add the sauce to the meat? It'll bulk out the curry so you won't need as much meat and the potato absorbs so much of the flavour they're delicious.
            Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
            Snadger - Director of Poetry
            RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
            Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
            Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
            piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X