No announcement yet.

advice on goose!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on goose - keep well away from NTG on his birthday!!!
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

love goose at x-mas.
      delicious.
      good idea to try it first, if you get one from lidl and like it find a good butcher or farm shop for the main event, get wild if you can.
      go for twice the weight of the turkey you normally buy.
      we do the redcurrant jelly and sage thing.
      Yo an' Bob
      Walk lightly on the earth
      take only what you need
      give all you can
      and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

hi all

got goose from Lidle's, was shocked as the all the main supermarkets staff looked at me like I had 2 heads when i asked for goose. Lidle's staff where not surprised, any way. Had goose tonight and it was lovely. Going to a open farm day to order goose for xmas, I think the goose will be even more lovely from a farm :-)
        Thanks again all

have a good evening and a good weekend on the allotment if it actually stops raining.

Lorraine
        http://warmanallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

That's the nice thing about Lidl staff. They know what stock they have and where it is and when the next delivery is arriving!
          Bright Blessings
          Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Goose is great, had it the last three years now. You'll love it if you like duck. As for ordering it, go to a butcher and order one. Or a farm. Or a farmer's market. Please don't even think about buying serious meat from supermarkets.

Comment

Or mail order, eg Judy Goodman

Comment

My Son is making his annual pilgrimage from Derby to see the peasants up North and has asked if he can cook the Christmas goose! Not sure about his culinary skills, but i've bought a frozen Goose from Lidl for £11.00 which I thought seemed a tad expensive.

I've had goose before, and even though I love it,I know it won't feed four of us. I'm not going to let on at present but I'm going to cop for a Turkey saddle as a backup!

I have got him the new Jamie Oliver dinners book for Christmas so I hope there's a recipe for him to follow!

I can't be bothered to look back through this thread or read the book so basically, bung it in oven on mesh to catch the grease? Will probably put bacon over it to keep the breast moist then cover the lot with tinfoil? Any idea how long to cook?
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

mmm love goose. Always have it for Christmas cause it's so much nicer than turkey. No need to worry about keeping it moist....the fat as it cooks will baste and mositen it. I just put a couple of slices of bacon over the legs to slow down their cooking times.
                  Other than that just keep an eye on the tray of fat (under the goose) cause you'll need to empty it at least once.

at gas mark 6 (200c/400f)
                  4.5kg - 1 1/2 to 2 hours
                  5kg - 2 to 2 1/2 hours
                  5.5kg - 2 1/2 to 3 hours
                  6kg+ - 3 to 3 1/2 hours

Merry Christmas!

Comment

Originally posted by MissyMoo View Post
                    mmm love goose. Always have it for Christmas cause it's so much nicer than turkey. No need to worry about keeping it moist....the fat as it cooks will baste and mositen it. I just put a couple of slices of bacon over the legs to slow down their cooking times.
                    Other than that just keep an eye on the tray of fat (under the goose) cause you'll need to empty it at least once.

at gas mark 6 (200c/400f)
                    4.5kg - 1 1/2 to 2 hours
                    5kg - 2 to 2 1/2 hours
                    5.5kg - 2 1/2 to 3 hours
                    6kg+ - 3 to 3 1/2 hours

Merry Christmas!
                    Cheers,...... got it in the freezer at mo but didn't check weight. Will check before cooking and adjust times accordingly!

Merry Christmas to you too MissyMoo!
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Make sure it's dead before you try stuffing & roasting as they can give you a nasty peck in the seasonal accompaniments
                      ntg
                      Never be afraid to try something new.
                      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                      ==================================================

Comment

Oh dear..mine is going to be a 16lb...? 4hrs then? ( will have to watch out for the legs burning methinks)
                        Never had one so big before -hope it's not going to be tough
                        I can just imagine the smell of it cooking now....
                        ...better go and eat my banana - humph
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                          Oh dear..mine is going to be a 16lb...? 4hrs then? ( will have to watch out for the legs burning methinks)
                          Never had one so big before -hope it's not going to be tough
                          I can just imagine the smell of it cooking now....
                          ...better go and eat my banana - humph
                          You'll have to set the alarm then Nicos, although if your kids are owt like mine they used to have me up at 2am........ I think he's been!!!!Lol

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My kids go to bed just as we are waking up!!!!
                            Maybe nowadays Santa should be leaving pressies for the oldies who still believe in him?? ...me..me..me !!!
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

If you like duck then you'll love goose. Buy from a good source, it's Christmas. About £10-12 kilo for free range, responsibly farmed ones. I'm getting a 4.5 kilo goose for 5 of us, there'll be plenty.

Comment

goose

we raise our own geese, they cost very little when young, keep your grass short, and do not need much else, good fun to have around also make good guards, can be noisy but usually not, we had two last year, one for christmas and one in the freezer for easter, very easy to do.

The fat is said to be very healthy compaired to other meats.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X