No announcement yet.

Whats what in food????

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go on beefy.....get a feeling it's not going to be nice BUT..did see something not long ago showing it was pretty good meat???!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Dont think so Nicos . Old sheep that cant be used for anything else are slaughtered and the carcasses hung in a large room on the floor of this room they put in stainless steel trays to cover the floor . Its actually a large oven so they then close the doors and turn up the heat .When the meat is cooked it falls off the bone into the trays .Its then taken to a mincer and then formed into what you see spinning inthe kebab shop window.

Kebab on the way home anyone?
      Last edited by beefy; 16-11-2006, 08:50 PM. Reason: spelling
      There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

Still want to know why bought apples stay white for weeks and do not rot on the compost heap, unlike our own! If not iraddiation then there must be a reason! Same thing with bought strwbs, ours have to be eaten fairly sharpish, but shop ones last ages. No taste though.
        Saw something about carbon thingy t'other day. Spanish toms despite travelling have a smaller carbon footprint than British, because of the heating needed to produce in Britain!

Comment

Interesting thread. We took part in a study earlier in the year about food additives and children's behaviour. some of the early results and reports were very interesting. I note your comments about Sodium Benzoate (E211) but this is something we know flares up our daughter's eczema, interestingly cranberry juice doesn't. Not sure how that works. Somewhere in my "weird" filing system we have a list of the ones that had to be avoided and those that were "safe" ie naturally derived. I undertook a certain type of diet before I became pregnant and my nutritional therapist basically said, if you look at the label and there's more than one item that you can't picture, don't buy it it's too processed. Being someone who has to avoid wheat and knowing someone who is coeliac it can be quite difficult and things can be "disguised" in the sense that it is a derivative without it necessarily saying it is from a certain source - glucose-fructose syrup is a prime example.

The only way to be certain of what you are eating is to avoid all processed foods and make everything from scratch yourself, including bread, cakes etc. One look at a label on a gluten-free cake is enough. I remember reading also that the use of MSG (E621) or the related E635 indicates poor quality ingredients. Also did you know that aspartame is converted by the body into a form of formaldehyde (at least I think it is that one!)

Prefer to be preserved in wine thanks!
          Bright Blessings
          Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

aren't we all really pleased we grow our own? DDL
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Know how you feel Earthbabe, our five year old is borderline overactive and its not hard to tell when he gets something that sets him off.Any chance of a copy of that report?
              There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

It's not out yet but I'll let you know. The doctor leading the team is going to forward a copy to every family that took part once it is published. Last time I spoke to her she was saying that some parents were saying that they didn't care what the overall findings were the changes had made such a change to their offspring they were sticking with it. When I find the list I'll post it for anyone who is interested. I'm "officing" tomorrow so will have a look then. Distraction after leg waxing. Ouch!
                Bright Blessings
                Earthbabe

Comment

Ok thanks then Earthbabe.

Leg waxing thats a whole other thread

Comment

E numbers to avoid

I've found my list so here goes:

Colours

E102 - tartrazine
                    E104 - quinoline yellow
                    E110 - Sunset Yellow
                    E122 - Carmoisine or Azorubine
                    E123 - Amarath (alcohol or fish roe)
                    E124 - Ponceau 4R or cochineal red A
                    E127 - Erythrosine (found in cherries)
                    E128 - Red 2g (some sausages and burgers
                    E129 - Allura Red
                    E131 - Patent Blue
                    E132 - Indigo Carmine (blue)
                    E133 - Brilliant Blue FCF
                    E142 - Green S
                    E151 - Black PN or Brilliant Black PN
                    E154 - Brown FK (kippers)
                    E155 - Brown HT
                    E180 - Litholrubine BK or Pigment Rubine (edible cheese rind)

Others

E211 - Sodium Benzoate (a preservative)
                    Last edited by Earthbabe; 16-11-2006, 08:19 PM. Reason: heading
                    Bright Blessings
                    Earthbabe

Comment

E numbers that are safe

These are the natural and acceptable ones

E100 - Curcumin
                      E101 - Riboflavin (or riboflavin-5'-phosphate
                      E120 - Cochineal (or carminic acid or carmines)
                      E140 - Chlorophyll's (and chlorophyllins)
                      E141 - copper complexes of chlorophylls and chlorophyllins
                      E150 - Caramel (inc sulphite and/or ammonia caramel)
                      E153 - Vegetable carbon or carbon black
                      E160(a) - Carotene (alpha, beta or gamma), (also 160(e) and 164(f) related to carotenes) Apo-carotenal
                      E160(b) - Annatto
                      E160(c) - Paprika extract (or capsanthian)
                      E160(d) - Lycopene
                      E161(b) - Lutein
                      E161(g) - Canthaxanthin
                      E162 - Beetroot Red (betanin)
                      E163 - Anthocyanins
                      E170 - Calcium Carbonate (white)
                      E171 - Titanium Dioxide (white)
                      E172 - Iron oxides and hydroxides
                      E173 - Aluminium (used in sugar coatings on pills or cake decorating)
                      E174 - Silver (cake decs)
                      E175 - Gold (cake decs)

Hope that helps.
                      Bright Blessings
                      Earthbabe

Comment

If you grow your own and make your own, you're pretty safe.

I avoid all artifical colours and sweeteners as far as possible, and fizzy drinks are definitely a no no.l

It's bad enough for adults, but if you work with children you can actually see the reaction shortly after they have a commercially produced drink - it's horrendous - they go superhyperactive! Where I work we encourage mums to cook proper natural food (can't force them to), but they do notice the difference when they do.

Comment

That's great to hear RL. We try very hard to avoid all artificial stuff but these things crop up in the unlikeliest of places. Hence putting the list up for those that may find it useful.
                          Bright Blessings
                          Earthbabe

Comment

Originally posted by beefy View Post
                            Yep its true allright. Wild salmon get the pink colour from a diet of prawns . If your a farmed salmon swiming round in a cage at sea you arnt getting anything except what comes in the pellets that the fiish farmers feed you.

Snadger the problem with farmed salmon is that the cages cause a vast pollution problem where they are sited .If you want I can direct you to info on the problems as it would take up to much space here but as a keen fisherman I would not have farmed salmon in the house.If you remember a year or so ago there was a scare about farmed salmon being full of cancer causing chemicals etc . I would say that that would be the least of your problems eating fish that have been kept in cages so tightly packed that they start to aet each others tails and fins .

Anyone want to know how the big rotisserie of kebab meat that you see in the kebab shop window is made ?
                            Hi Beefy, I too am a fisherman and love fishing for wild brown trout which I usually return. I also fish for farmed rainbow, which as you say are usually blemished from the stock ponds with worn tails and other battle scars.The fish that overwinter grow back there tails if left in the water long enough
                            I don't think neither you nor I make a significant difference to the wild fish stocks. I do however think that factory fishing ships, trawlers and dredgers will one day lead to a total ban on all net fishing at sea as the stocks are so depleted.I think with salmon they net the estuaries as they come in to spawn don't they? I didn't realise that farmed fish were tightly netted and caused polution. Surely there must be a way to farm salmon in humane conditions without excess polution? Maybe government legislation is called for? I still feel that for Birdseye to say "We only use wild stock" is criminal and wonder whether their will be any fish left in the sea for our grandchildren?
                            If you could direct me towards any info on the problem I would be grateful!
                            Cheers, Snadge
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

http://www.nasfonline.org/home.htm
                              http://www.stopnow.ie/
                              http://www.grinningplanet.com/2004/0...on-gmo-eco.htm
                              http://www.salmonfarmmonitor.org/problems.shtml
                              There you are Snadger a little light reading for you and anyone else who wants to know about farmed salmon.The first two links are campains that are trying to save wild Atlantic salmon. The last two focus on the problems with cages and what you are eating.

Comment

http://www.atlanticsalmontrust.org/
                                Another one

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X