Grapevine Stew Recipes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ugly gourd View Post
    I just make a basic stew dish it up and the kids make sandwiches out of it YUCK!!
    That sounds lovely. Wea ll do that in my house. Saves wear and tear on the cutlery!
    Kirsty b xx

Comment

Bestest venison stew casserole thing:

Venison stewing meat, rolled in seasoned flour
      Oil
      1 or 2 red onions, cut into wedges
      stock
      paprika (pref. the smoky sweet kind)
      squirt of tomato paste

Fry the onions quickly until charred on each side, put in the casserole pot. Fry off the venison until well browned, chuck that in too. Top up with stock to only just cover the meat, add the other ingredients and season to taste. Cook in a slow oven for 3-4 hours until the meat is verrrry tender, and enjoy with lots of lovely mash and green beans.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Not a recipe, more of a recollection really! My old boss was a Gamekeeper and used to make a very quick stew with venison. He used to grate the vegetables into strips (carrots swede onions potatoes) or whatever he had, which allowed them to cook very quickly. Mixed with the venison he could knock up a tasty stew in half an hour! Lovely with buttered crusty loaf!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Quick question. Mr E has agreed to me replacing the slow cooker we lost about 6 years ago. Any of these recipes I couldn't do in one of those. He declared the other night over a bowl of "leftovers" soup/stew largely based on beef juices and pumpkin that he could eat this way all winter. Not one to miss an opportunity me.
          Bright Blessings
          Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

I normally use a slow cooker for all the ones I've posted, including the pumpkin chilli, find they are a great way to cook and its lovely to come home to something ready to eat after work! Some recipies you may need to brown the meat before adding to the slow cooker, but other than that I shouldnt think there'd be any problems EB!

Good luck and well done on converting Mr E to the delights of winter stews and veg!
            Blessings
            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
            Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
            Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
            On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Nice one EB! I replaced the one I was given as a wedding present last year because I had worn it out! "New" one going strong! I wouldnt be without it! DDL
              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

He's never had a problem with winter stews, more the fact that most of mine have a hint of meat and lots of everything else that is hanging around. It'll be particularly useful for the days I'm working late and he gets in at 6 with a very tired Miss E. All he has to do then is feed her and get her to bed - eventually. Should help with the tiredness and waking.
                Bright Blessings
                Earthbabe

Comment

Lol EB, sounds like my stews too! I have no problem with getting him to eat them the day they are made, but a huge problem with getting Mr D to eat anything for more than 1 day, his mother threw out anything that wasnt eaten immediately, and he often turns his nose up at anything I say will be ok for the next day!

Before I met Mr D I always had either a curry, stew , chilli or some other type of dish on the go, usually I'd start it on my day off, then do it with a different type of accompaniment every day for variety, making sure it was reboiled every day to keep it from going off! Curry always tastes better after a couple of days to season, chilli's the same, and stews get more flavoursome too!

Now, Mr D enjoys my cooking (as his waist band shows), but he doesnt like to reuse things that were cooked the day before! Personally I always used to use the chicken carcass to make a lovely broth (same with the Yule Turkey), but Mr D turns his nose up at it, even though he admits its delish! Watching the Rover Cottage Treatment last night got him thinking a bit more, so perhaps now he'll come round, but anyone with any suggestions please share them!
                  Last edited by Mrs Dobby; 03-11-2006, 08:08 AM. Reason: spelling again
                  Blessings
                  Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

I tend to make up big pans of stuff, eat some and freeze the rest in two person portions to bring out over the next few weeks. Nice and quick after a busy day and gives us a bit more variety over the week. Mind you have loads of chicken stock in the freezer at the moment so will have to get some out to make some good hearty soup now the weather is so cold - can eat it with some fresh bread from my new breadmaker too! Perhaps we should start a favourite soup recipe as well as the stew one!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Go on then Alison I will do!
                      [

Comment

I also find that some stuff tastes better on the second or third eating. Not that there is usually that much left by then. Mr E is a bit of a carnivore still and likes stews to have lots of meat as well as lots of recognisable veg. Still haven't completely convinced him of the merits of pulses although he will eat my lentil dahl as long as there is some meat to go with it. Sounds hopeless I know but there it is. I love boiling up the chicken carcass (or game bird if we have had one of those) and at the mo we have bones in the freezer for stock making and a basket full of beef stock from bones I was given by my friendly neighbouring butcher.
                        Bright Blessings
                        Earthbabe

Comment

Soup recipes hmmm! Sounds good. I'll have to dig out my french tomato soup and french onion soup recipes for that.
                          Bright Blessings
                          Earthbabe

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                            I tend to make up big pans of stuff, eat some and freeze the rest in two person portions to bring out over the next few weeks. Nice and quick after a busy day and gives us a bit more variety over the week. Mind you have loads of chicken stock in the freezer at the moment so will have to get some out to make some good hearty soup now the weather is so cold - can eat it with some fresh bread from my new breadmaker too! Perhaps we should start a favourite soup recipe as well as the stew one!
                            Yes, I do the same Alison - I take a variety of "tea meals" to work for lunch during the week. My boss looks quite envious when I'm tucking into something hot and delish and he has his (bought) usual sarnie of cheese salad! DDL
                            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Venison Sausages in Red Wine (Delia's)

This is rich and filling but the season is upon us.

1lb(450g) venison sausages
                              1 dsp (10 ml) olive oil
                              8 oz (225g) diced bacon or pancetta
                              1 large clove garlic, peeled
                              8 oz (225g) shallots, peeled
                              1 dsp juniper berries
                              10fl oz (275ml) red wine
                              1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
                              1 bay leaves
                              6 oz (175g medium-sized, open cap mushrooms
                              1 heaped tsp plain flour
                              1 rounded tsp mustard powder (we have used ready made)
                              1 oz (25g) soft butter
                              1 rounded tbsp redcurrant jelly
                              salt and freshly milled black pepper

First take a large flameproof casserole and heat the oil in it. Then, with the heat at medium, brown the sausages evenly all over, taking care not to split the skins by turning them over too soon. Next, using a slotted spoon, transfer them to a plate while you brown the diced bacon, garlic and shallots. Now crush the juniper berries very slightly without breaking them - just enough to release their flavour. Return the sausages tot he casserole, pour in the wine and add the berries, thyme and bay leaves. Season lightly, bring it all up to a gentle simmer, put a lid on the casserole, turn the heat as low as poss and let is all simmer gently for 30 mins.
                              After that add the mushrooms, stirring them in well and leave everything to cook gently for a further 20 mins - this time without the lid so the liquid reduces slightly. To finish off remove the sausages and veg to a warm serving dish, mix the flour and mustard powder with the butter until you have a smooth paste and whisk this a little at a time into the juices. Let everything bubble for a few more mins, take the casserole off the heat return the sausages to it and whisk in the redcurrant jelly. It's ready to serve.

Delia suggests light creamy mash to go with this. Plus any veg of your choice.
                              Bright Blessings
                              Earthbabe

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
                                This is rich and filling but the season is upon us.

1lb(450g) venison sausages
                                1 dsp (10 ml) olive oil
                                8 oz (225g) diced bacon or pancetta
                                1 large clove garlic, peeled
                                8 oz (225g) shallots, peeled
                                1 dsp juniper berries
                                10fl oz (275ml) red wine
                                1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
                                1 bay leaves
                                6 oz (175g medium-sized, open cap mushrooms
                                1 heaped tsp plain flour
                                1 rounded tsp mustard powder (we have used ready made)
                                1 oz (25g) soft butter
                                1 rounded tbsp redcurrant jelly
                                salt and freshly milled black pepper

First take a large flameproof casserole and heat the oil in it. Then, with the heat at medium, brown the sausages evenly all over, taking care not to split the skins by turning them over too soon. Next, using a slotted spoon, transfer them to a plate while you brown the diced bacon, garlic and shallots. Now crush the juniper berries very slightly without breaking them - just enough to release their flavour. Return the sausages tot he casserole, pour in the wine and add the berries, thyme and bay leaves. Season lightly, bring it all up to a gentle simmer, put a lid on the casserole, turn the heat as low as poss and let is all simmer gently for 30 mins.
                                After that add the mushrooms, stirring them in well and leave everything to cook gently for a further 20 mins - this time without the lid so the liquid reduces slightly. To finish off remove the sausages and veg to a warm serving dish, mix the flour and mustard powder with the butter until you have a smooth paste and whisk this a little at a time into the juices. Let everything bubble for a few more mins, take the casserole off the heat return the sausages to it and whisk in the redcurrant jelly. It's ready to serve.

Delia suggests light creamy mash to go with this. Plus any veg of your choice.
                                Mmmmmm! Venison!! That sounds absolutely fantastic EB! Will deffo give it a go in the very near future!
                                Blessings
                                Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X