No announcement yet.

Jerusalem artichokes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hard is it to grow these windy crops?
    Best wishes
    Andrewo
    Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Its a complete doddle. Really easy. I've put my advice in the article I linked to above, but Nicos has summarised all you need to know too.
      http://www.downsizer.net

http://cabd.livejournal.com

Comment

Blast, it would just take up too much space, nevermind.
        Best wishes
        Andrewo
        Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Then just put in one or two, maybe? Or one in a big pot?
          http://www.downsizer.net

http://cabd.livejournal.com

Comment

Would be good in a big pot up against the house or wall, as its got pretty flowers lots of leaves and being in a pot, would not be invasive! The good thing too is that you could buy just 1 from the supermarket
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Oh my good ness, we have just eaten our first ever batch of these, having grown them this year for the first time. Lovely nutty taste, but now hours later we are doubled in agony with the worst wind ever. It's hoorendous!!!!

We basically par boiled them with the rest of the veg then roasted the chokes, using the stock for gravy.

Unless there are any tips on how to eradicate the wind, we will have to burn the rest come bonfore night.

Please help! I may need to go to a&e it's that acute!!

Comment

Poor you! Sarah Raven suggests cooking the chokes with carrots to neutralise the gas, kind of.
                As for your pain, try rolling your clenched fist over your abdomen in a clockwise fashion...you'll feel the gas bubbling thru and relief should be swift!
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

How are you doing craigpugh??
                  Not nice
                  We only tend to have one mixed in with other veg in soups or mashed spuds, so have never had such a bad reaction.
                  Charcoal is said to help reduce wind, so it might be worthwile having some burnt toast?
                  Hope you are feeling better now?

Hope you are sleeping with the windows open

Comment

I mainly use them for lunchtime soup. Mr F has a very gassy reaction too. I'm on my own all day so I can make whatever whiffy noises I wish (too much info?) but I'm prepared to becasue I really love the flavour.
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Anyone else vouch for this carrot theory?

I also read that with baked beans, the other famous fart-aid, it's the cooking juices/ sauce in the tin that causes the problem- likewise if cooking dried beans, discarding the cooking liqueur can get rid of most of the problem. Could the same be true of chokes? I read on here that it's a thing called 'inuin' (sp?) in chokes that makes you gasseous, is it the same with beans- i never had that reaction with beans however.

I've been windy all day. Any advice graetly recieved, i was thinking how great to have this apparently never ending free perennial crop, now i'm gutted- as well as having awful guts.. (sorry)

Craig

Comment

Hmm, i was thinking, i boiled them and then used the stock for gravy.. might that have had a bearing?

Comment

Mmmmmmm Heard of decaffinated coffee but how about deflatulated sprouts/baked beans??
                          The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                          Brian Clough

Comment

Have you tried the fennel tea??

Comment

Tonights meal cauliflower cheese, courgettes, carrots & potatoes Madderbat & me are doing duets(very windy)
                              The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                              Brian Clough

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X