No announcement yet.

Fantastic Apple cake!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll pm you the details, ISBN number etc. I got it from waterstones. It even has a decent flatbread and the hot cross buns are pretty good. The coconut cake is to die for.
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

That would be great. Got a fantastic book barn round here so I will see if I can get it there. Thanks Earthbabe!

Comment

I really should get into baking! this recipe sounds brill! DDL
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Earthbabe, Monkeybum....have you tried brown rice flour? Apparently that makes a nice crumble topping.

Comment

I have tried it for baking but not for topping. I found it went a bit powdery. It's a bit trial and error with more of the errors at the moment.

Comment

Apple cake

Hi Elmo
              That recipe looks fab. Have printed it off and will try that later today, my lot are always asking for cakes and stuff for lunchboxes.
              Will have to see if there is a phantom cake pincher in my house too.
              Kirsty
              Kirsty b xx

Comment

At least it's not a phantom raspberry blower.
                Bright Blessings
                Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Or flan flinger
                  Last edited by kirsty b; 18-10-2006, 02:56 PM.
                  Kirsty b xx

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
                    Could you post the recipe please Waffler. Crumble topping doesn't seem to work with gluten-free flour for some reason. Might try it with oats though as I can eat those.
                    Sorry EB - only just spotted this request.

Autumn Pear Cake (from Sainsbury's mag, Sept 06)

serves at least 8
                    35mins prep
                    1.5 hours cooking

250g / 9oz golden caster sugar
                    250g / 9oz unsalted butter, softened
                    4 medium free-range eggs, separated
                    250g / 9oz ground almonds
                    3 tbsp eau de vie de poire Williams, or Calvados (in the absence of neither or perry, I used cider, and it was just fine!)
                    6 dessert pears, peeled, quartered, cored and finely sliced lengthways.

For the crumble:
                    75g / 3oz self-raising flour
                    50g / 2oz light muscovado sugar
                    25g / 1oz unsalted butter, chopped

You will also need:
                    a 23cm / 9" diameter springform cake tin, 6cm / 2.5" deep, lightly buttered, the base and sides lined with baking parchment and buttered again.

(Phew!)

Preheat the oven to 170C, fan 160C
                    To make the cake, cream the sugar and butter together. Lightly beat egg yolks then add to creamed mix a bit at a time, adding almonds in between. Add the alcohol.
                    Whisk the egg whites in to soft peaks. Using a large kitchen spoon, fold about a fifth of the whites in to the cake mixture to lighten it. Carefully fold in the remaining whites, retaining as much air as possible. Working quickly, fold in the pears then pile mixture in to prepared cake tin.
                    For the crumble, combine the flour and muscovado sugar, then rub in the butter until the mixture is like very coarse breadcrumbs. Scatter the crumble over the top of the cake, then bake it for about 90 mins or until firm and golden brown. Serve warm (allow to cool in tin for a while) or at least at room temperature - not chilled (or you can do what you d*mn well like!!)

Nice with a good blob of creme fraisch, or go mad with clotted cream - YUM!

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
                      At least it's not a phantom raspberry blower.
                      Sorry, off topic I know... We were watching repeats of these two the other night and the Phantom Raspbery Blower sketch came on.. even my little boy was laughing away. They did do such fab comedy!
                      Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X