Sugar free puddings/cakes etc

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugar free puddings/cakes etc

Have copied and pasted this cry for help from my big sis. All help will be forwarded.Can anyone help me please.
    I want to make muffins, sponge cakes, and an old fashioned Bread Pudding but using Granulated Sweetener instead of sugars.
    When i've tried this in the past because of the lightness of the sweetener it changes the consistency of the mixture or if i try to use similar amounts, it doesn't turn out sweet enough.
    I made carrot cake at the weekend with the sweetener and they are fine, but could have done with being a bit sweeter.
    If anyone has any ideas or tried and tested methods, please let me know.
    I'm desperately trying to keep the calorie intake down and diabetic partner would just love some yummie cakes.
    Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
    Michaela XXXX

Ta
    Kirsty
    Kirsty b xx

Hi Kirsty

Speaking from a Type 1 perspective I was always lead to believe that sugar in moderation was fine and better than some of the sweetner alternatives, especially if carb counting as you just adjust the insulin doses accordingly.

I've always been lead to believe that a diabetic diet is just a healthy diet that anyone should be following.

Not sure if that helps or not htough, sorry. I've never really tried swapping sugar for sweetner

Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Have a look for tea loves or teabread. These are often with much less sugar than regular cakes.
      http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've heard some quite good feedabck from folks using Splenda in recipes, here's a link to some....

SPLENDAŽ Low Calorie Sweetener | Recipes

Comment

I would have thought that reducing the fat content would cut calories a lot more efficiently than cutting sugar - IIRC a gram of fat has 9 calories whereas a gram of sugar has only 4. Like Shortie, I was under the impression that nowadays diabetics are advised to follow a normal healthy diet. Here are some NHS guides I found online:

* Total quantity of sugar should be limited to 25 g (1 oz)/day and should be spread over the day.
          * It should only be included in a diet that is low in fat and high in fibre and where the diabetes is well controlled.
          * Whenever possible recipes should be adapted to reduce fat content.
          * Many recipes for baked items can have the sugar content reduced by half, without affecting the product, although it will reduce in keeping time.

So, how about looking for lower-fat cake recipes and using half-and-half sweetener and sugar? The real trick is not pigging out on the yummy cakes, regardless of the recipe

Comment

Weetabix loaf cake

2 whole crushed weetabix
            8 oz flour (self raising although i have used plain)
            6 oz of sugar (although i tend to use 4 as it is too sweet)
            8 floz of milk (i use full fat or semi, whatever is in the fridge)
            6 oz of fruit, (currants, raisins, sultanas, bananas, dried fruit like apricots)

mix it all together and cook in a loaf tin at gas mark 4 for an hour.
            take out leave to cool, slice and eat with or without butter, store in clingfilm for at least a week, only lasts that long in my house when i have made a few at the same time

Comment

You could look at the recipes on the foodmatters.com website.

Tea bread

1lb mixed dried fruit
              14 fl oz hot black tea
              9oz wholemeal flour
              1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
              6oz soft brown sugar
              1oz melted butter
              1 lightly beaten egg
              2lb Loaf tin lined with greaseproof paper

I use prunes, apricots, raisins and cranberries but you can use just mixed dried fruit like you would for a Xmas cake. I also prefer to use half wholemeal and half plain white flour as it gives a lighter texture. I make half this quantity in a pound size loaf tin, but there are only 2 of us.

Make up some hot strong tea. Put dried fruit in bowl, add hot tea and leave to soak for an hour. Mix flour, sugar and bicarb together and melt butter, whisk egg. Mix dry ingredients into fruit (including any tea not absorbed by the fruit), then add butter and egg.

Spoon into tin and smooth with back of spoon. Bake for 60 - 75 mins at 170C/340F/Gas mark 3 1/2. Test with skewer in centre. If comes out clean, remove from oven. Allow to cool in tin for 10 mins before removing to wire rack to cool. Keep in paper in tin/box as keeps it moist.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X