No announcement yet.

Any ideas for celeriac?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best to peel and slice it, then pop in a bowl of acidulated water - like apple and globe artichoke, it can go brown quite quickly.

50/50 mash - lovely
    Soups - can't stand celery soup, but love celeriac soup
    Chips - bring it on!
    Sliced, steamed and served with cheese sauce, browned in the oven
    Lovely in bean soups
    Raw, grated (add dressing immediately to stop it going brown) in celeri-remoulade or other salads
    Last edited by supersprout; 18-01-2007, 06:56 AM.
    SSx
    not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

Chips? just prepared and fried in the normal way?
      http://lowestoftnaturalist-benacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just like normal chips Benacre, you can do the same with your jerusalem artichokes as well.

If you feel adventurous you can also make crisps out of most veg, just slice it as thin as you can and either deep or shalow fry for a minute or so until crispy. Beetroot and parsnip are exceptionally good.

Comment

I make fat-free (and tasty!) crisps in the dehydrator with parsnip, squash and courgette. Not tried celeriac. Now that's an idea
          SSx

Comment

Celeriac Gratin with Indian Spices

1 large or 2 small celeriac roots, peeled and diced
            a few drops of lemon juice
            2 tblsps olive oil
            1 large onion, peeled and chopped
            2 teasps asafoetida
            2 teasps fennel seeds
            2 level teasps garam masala
            s & p

Oven temp 200c, 400f, gas 6

As you peel the celeriac, drop it straight into acidulated water to prevent it from browning. Boil a large pan of salted water, then drain the celeriac cubes and add to the pan. Simmer for 8-10 mins until they are tender.

While the celeriac is cooking, heat the oil in a shallow pan and saute the onion, fennel seeds and asafoeticia briskly, stirring from time to time. When the onions are slightly browned, take the pan off the heat and stir in the garam masala.

Add the drained, cooked celeriac to the pan and stir well, so it gets evenly coated with the oil, onions and spices.

Season with S & P, then place on a baking tray in a single layer. Bake uncovered in the pre-heated oven for 10-12 mins until brown and crisp.
            Serves 3.
            Hope this adds to your repertoire...
            and that it proves enjoyable!

Comment

That looks delicious wellie! Thank you
              SSx

Comment

Sounds good to me Wellie. Will give it a go. Thank you.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

My pleasure....
                  I'll see if I can dig out a few more over the weekend if time allows.

Comment

That looks lovely wellie! DDL
                    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Another Celeriac Recipe

Wine-Cooked Celeriac & Potato Gratin with Emmental Cheese

1 tblsp olive oil
                      15g butter
                      2 medium red onions, peeled & thinly sliced
                      450g potatoes cut into 5-7mm slices, peeled or not, no odds.....
                      1 large celeriac, peeled quartered & cut into slices same as potatoes
                      1 teasp fennel seeds
                      s & p
                      170ml dry white wine
                      170ml veg stock
                      150g Emmental cheese, sliced
                      50g fresh Parmesan cheese, grated.

1. Warm the oil and butter together in the frying pan. Fry the onions, potato, celeriac and fennel seeds together for a few minutes, turning them over gently to make sure they are well mixed and not stuck together.

2. Add a generous grinding of black pepper, the wine and stock and bring the contents of the pan to the boil. Only add salt at this stage if your veg stock is home-made and you know it's not very salty, otherwise wait until later. Cook gently with the lid on the pan for about 25 mins until the spuds and celeriac are tender, then check for seasoning, adding extra salt only if needed.

3. Before doing anything else, pre-heat the grill. Remove the pan lid and cook down the liquid if much remains until you are left with a flavourful, concentrated few spoonfuls. Enough
                      to coat but not swamp the vegetables. Top with the cheeses and grill until brown and bubbling.

Eh Voila !
                      Hope you enjoy it...
                      Definitely my kind of comfort food! No wonder I'm carrying 'a little excess weight' at the minute....
                      Don't you just LOVE food?!

Comment

Wellie that sounds fabulous! Thanks!!
                        [

Comment

Baked Celeriac Mash topped with Poached Eggs

OK, this is definitely my last Celeriac recipe till at least after the weekend, or I'll 'spoil you all'...

450g floury potatoes, peeled and diced
                          1 medium celeriac root, peeled and diced
                          1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
                          15g butter
                          1 tblsp olive oil
                          2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
                          2-3 tblsps finely chopped parsley
                          about 90ml cream
                          s & p
                          3 large eggs
                          a few shavings of fresh Parmesan cheese

Oven temp 200'c (400'f, gas 6)

1. boil the potatoes and celeriac separately in salted water until both are tender, then drain. While they are cooking, fry the onion in the butter and olive oil over a moderate heat until tender and starting to brown, adding the garlic for the last couple of minutes of cooking time. Set aside for later.

2. Mash the potatoes or put them through a potato ricer (yea, right!). Puree the celeriac thoroughly in a food processor until smooth. Don't be tempted to put the spuds in the food processor, as it makes them go all glutinous. Combine the potatoes and celeriac, then stir in the parsley, fried onions and about three quarters of the cream. Season to taste with S & p.

3. Share out the mixture between three ovenproof individual bowls about 16-18cm in diameter, level the surface and make an egg-sized hollow in each portion using the back of a spoon. Run a fork over the surace so you'll get brown crispy ridges. Bake for 20-35 mins until they start to brown.

4. Poach the eggs, about 7 mins before the bases will be ready. When the whites are set but the yolks are still runny, put the eggs into the celeriac hollows. Pour the reserved cream over them, scatter on some Parmesan shavings and a grinding of black pepper and return the bowls to the hot oven for a couple of minutes to melt the cheese.

There. Now you simply love me to bits, and I can relax this weekend, knowing that you're far too busy cooking to want anymore recipes from me !
                          But I promise you, if I spot any other good'uns, I'll be sure to pass them on!
                          You're very welcome.
                          Wellie

Comment

Wellie when I read the list of ingredients I thought this was going to be a gratin recipe. No LJ for once wrong! I will certainly make this - it is different and I like that.

Thanks again Wellie!!
                            [

Comment

I'd do this recipe myself, but me and eggs aren't even close to being best friends...!
                              If Paulie wants eggs for brekkie, I have to go and have coffee with neighbours till the smell subsides!
                              See what you make of the recipes, then decide, eh?!

Comment

Roasted Celeriac with Shallots, Walnut & Soft Goat's Cheese

2 medium celeriac roots
                                4 large shallots (banana, if you can get them. No, the recipe doesn't actually say that. I just made that up to give yet another boost to Piglet's Banana Shallot Seed trials....!)
                                2 tblsps olive oil
                                juice of a lemon
                                1 heaped teasp cumin seeds
                                s & p
                                100g full fat soft goat's cheese
                                handful of roasted walnut pieces

Oven temp 200c, 400f, gas 6

Quickly peel the celeriac and cut into slices no more than 1" thick. Cut each slice in four, then put the chunks into water immediately to stop them going brown. Boil them in salted water for 5 mins.

Peel the shallots and cut into half inch slices, then put in a shallow roasting tin with the partly-cooked celeriac and the olive oil. Swirl them about with your fingers until the veg are evenly coated with oil, then add the lemon juice, cumin seeds, salt & pepper. Mix again, then cover the tin with foil and bake in the pre-heated oven for 40 mins.

Remove the foil and bake for 10 mins more. Dot spoonfuls of the cheese over the surface of the dish, turn up the oven to 220c, 425f, gas7 and bake for another 7-10 mins until the top is nicely browned. Scatter over the walnut pieces before serving.
                                Serves 3 (why? why not 2 or 4? Beats me....!)

Anyway, just found that one by accident whilst flipping through my books to do with tonight's dinner, so thought I'd post it up whilst I remember which book I saw it in....!

I'd forgotten about that recipe, and it really DOES sound delicious.
                                On the menu for next week maybe...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X