Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeding the teenagers! Inspiration required.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding the teenagers! Inspiration required.

My OH's kids stay with us at the weekends and I need some inspiration re mealtimes.

They're nearly 13 and 15 and great kids. They love chicken and their favourites are homemade chicken pie, roast chicken and the trimmings, toad in the hole, homemade sausages, macaroni cheese and other pasta dishes. They dont do spicy.

Can any of you give me some ideas/recipes. I want something tasty this weekend and looking for some inspiration before I do my online shopping order.
    Last edited by amandaandherveg; 29-01-2009, 02:20 PM. Reason: typo

Straightforward and simple - cheesy mashed spuds (topped with garlic, breadcrumbs and cheese and bunged under the grill to brown) served with chicken breasts (cooked however you fancy) and baked beans.

*Ooh, really fancy cheesy mash now - off to peel spuds (toad in the hole tomorrow now)
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

What about homemade chicken Kievs? Really yummy, garlicky butter sauce inside, breadcrumbs outside, then deep fried (it's the weekend) or baked (but frying will taste better).
      I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Are they 'hands on' children? Can you not get a simple cookbook and go through it with them and let them decide what they fancy trying? Then they can help cook it too. Might be a good way to get thenm to eat more varied thigns? We do this with my son and although he's only 4 he likes to help.

Comment

I noticed that you make homemade sausages so maybe you could try HM meatballs with pasta (I'm hoping to make them with sweet pepper pasta sauce if my summer crops work) or burgers with salad and HM wedges. (Jamie Olivers 'ultimate burgers' on his website are a hit with my teenage sons.

Comment

Their Mum doesn't cook at all but they are very hands on when they come down here - we bake, make jam, etc. We went and picked up a load of Cookery Books from a 2nd hand book shop a while back but that didnlt seem to inspire them. I get them to look for recipes on the internet and that usually works.

I make homemade meatballs and serve with pasta which goes down well. I like the idea of Chicken Kiev, perhaps with cheese and ham a la Cordon Bleu 80's stye. Not made homemade burgers since the Summer yum! Cheesy spuds - not made those for ages.

Comment

pizzas ..... get a load of things to go on top and make your own dough and tomato sauce.

Comment

You could try Hunter's Chicken (think it was originally a Nigella recipe, but in the re-telling a couple of times till it got to me, the recipe may have altered...)

It's super easy too - brown some chicken thighs, onion, garlic and chopped up smoked bacon, then add a tin of butter beans, and a tin of tomatoes (and some stock if it looks like it needs it.) and simmer for half an hour or so, till it's done.

You could add mushrooms too, or use 'mixed beans in mild chili' instead
                Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 29-01-2009, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Homemade pizza, honey and mustard chicken wraps, lemon chicken, sweet and sour, sticky chicken, chicken korma all favourites with HB(13) and her mates, bar one who is veggie and doesn't eat veg, she did eat homegrown lettuce and spring onions last year which is a step forward all be it a small one.

Have put several of above recipes on here, recently so have a look! Either uner my name or HappyBunny's
                  Last edited by ailsasyl; 29-01-2009, 03:00 PM.

Comment

I have one that never fails Chicken, Onion, Campbell Condensed chicken soup and pasta of choice. fry Onion & chicken in small chunks add soup and milk and cook pasta while cooking above, works a treat and very quick.

Also Corn Beef Hash is well liked.

For breakfast 'Eggy Bread' I end up using a loaf and eggs galore when I get visitors...

Hope they give you ideas, as I have used all sorts of soups for the above again Campbells do a Mediterranean soup.
                    HAPPY 'Growing My Own'
                    Dale

Comment

Never knew one that didn't like Spag Bol - or Lasagne. Far better than the 'rip the lid off and heat up' variety too!
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X