Slow cooker recipes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow cooker recipes

I've just bought myself a slow cooker in a bid to move over from gas (bottled) to electricity (solar panels, so free). Anyone got any recipe recommendations? I'm a beginner, so easy ones ideally. Better still if they were high-fibre. I'd welcome advice on cooking brown rice, other whole grains and pulses too. Any good recipe books you'd suggest?
    Thanks.

Snoop here's a few of sites I use..

this one has mostly beans

Beans - A Year of Slow Cooking

rice

Search results for rice - A Year of Slow Cooking

[slow cooker] Results from EatingWell

Slow Cooker Recipes By Category - Slow Cooking Perfected

Slow Cooker Recipes Archives (justaveragejen.com)

Last edited by Bren In Pots; 07-03-2024, 09:47 AM.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Fantastic, Bren. Thanks. There's a lot there to get me started.

Edited to ask: when I was looking for slow cooker threads, I came across a post of yours saying you were cooking mushy peas in yours. Do you have a recipe in particular you use for that? If so, would you mind sharing it and letting me know what size slow cooker it's suitable for? Thanks.
      Last edited by Snoop Puss; 07-03-2024, 10:57 AM.

Comment

I mainly just use mine for stews and braising steak etc, but this Christmas I made mincemeat in it (more or less Delia's recipe) which was a success.

Comment

Snoop for peas I soak them overnight in water that’s been boiled, next day rinse in cold water.
          Place peas in slow cooker adding water to cover them.
          Cook on high for 4 hours or 8 on low.
          You can add any amount of peas so long as you leave a couple of inches between the peas and the lid.

edited to add a link

https://recipes.net/articles/how-to-cook-dried-peas/
          Last edited by Bren In Pots; 07-03-2024, 02:36 PM.

Comment

^Perfect. Thanks, Bren.

Comment

I have 2. One large that I will use what I made over 2 days or freeze some and a small one for a day eating.
              I'm.a throw it in cook. If I want to use it I look up what I want to make adding slow cooker to the search.
              Mostly use to make chilli's stews curry. Etc
              There are fb groups too for ideas..
              Some make bread and cakes in them.
              Northern England.

Comment

Right, I'm thinking of making this tomorrow for supper. As it's my first go ever with a slow cooker, does anyone have any advice? As well as a pork sausage, I'll be using some chorizo for cooking, so won't add the paprika or the garlic.
                https://www.saltandlavender.com/croc...-and-potatoes/

Comment

That looks good Snoop, my only advice is to brown the sausages and onions before adding them to the slow cooker it does make a difference.

Comment

^Thanks, Bren. Just the kind of info I need. I was also thinking of soaking the beans overnight and boiling them for ten minutes before adding them. I'll let you know how I get on.

Comment

I've never used dry beans as I thought they didn't cook properly in the slow cooker. I always have them pre cooked or have used cans.
                      Northern England.

Comment

They do make excellent boeuf bourguignon and oxtail stews. Have to sear the meat and veg first as Bren says, to get around not cooking it in the oven, but it works out a lot cheaper.
                        Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
                          I've never used dry beans as I thought they didn't cook properly in the slow cooker. I always have them pre cooked or have used cans.
                          I'm hoping this will be one of my main uses, so fingers crossed it works. Meat stews I'm more likely to make in the pressure cooker, which makes the most delicious melt-in-your-mouth casseroles and dishes like boeuf bourguignon in next to no time. I don't find pressure cookers all that satisfactory for cooking some kinds of beans.

Edited to add this link in case it's useful to anyone:
                          https://www.momskitchenhandbook.com/...0and%20legumes.

In the end, I'll be making the recipe tomorrow, Bren In Pots.
                          Last edited by Snoop Puss; 13-03-2024, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Snoop here's a good article on beans and which need to be soaked and boiled for 10 minutes before adding to the slow cooker.

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/fe...ling-the-beans

Comment

^I hadn't even thought to look there, Bren. And I love that site. Thanks.

Edited: I've just had a look down the page. Looking forward to reading it in detail. Fortunately, I've never been a big fan of red kidney beans.
                              Some lovely looking recipes, as well. Thanks again.
                              Last edited by Snoop Puss; 13-03-2024, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X