Anyone made and used acorn flour?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone made and used acorn flour?

I spotted this and wondered if anyone has tried making and using it?

Its certainly something I’d consider doing if I had a dehydrator!

https://practicalselfreliance.com/ac...ht%20delicious
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

I've never tried it but I believe acorns were used to make an imitation coffee in WW1 and WW2. I did once try camp coffee, with chicory, which I thought was disgusting.

Comment

It does seem to be a long process, but I suppose it would get easier with practice.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Some acorn trees here are described as 'sweet' and suitable for making flour. Others are not. We have a few 'sweet' trees on our land, but I've never done it. Every now and then I look at them and think "I could do that". But having read the article, in theory I could but in practice I probably won't. I hope I never need to.

Comment

How can you tell if it’s a sweet tree Snoop?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
            How can you tell if it’s a sweet tree Snoop?
            The trees we have here are Quercus ilex ssp. ballota. Not very easy to tell apart from Quercus ilex. The leaves are a bit more rounded and paler and the acorns are whoppers. But unless you have something to compare with, I'm not sure it's easy to tell for a novice like me. We were told which ones. Our best tree - if we were to use it - is right next to the house. I'm guessing the house would act as a deterrent to boar, so probably deliberately planted there.

Comment

Ah - thanks for that explanation. No idea what type mine are but having had a bit of a gooogle , that species is clearly very different. Don’t want to spend hours making it then baking something inedible!
              Iwas thinking of trying it more for a different flavour and mineral/vitamin content.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X