crusty Bread to soft bread How?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crusty Bread to soft bread How?

Hi all as the title really. I have made tinned loaf, crusty rolls even doughnuts but never understood how do you make soft bread rolls? like finger rolls? mine always end up being the crusty variety..
    Last edited by Trev-P; 01-11-2021, 10:10 PM.

All soft-crust loaves of any kind are made in steam ovens. The steam keeps the crust soft.
    I don't know how one might replicate this in a conventional oven; others who bake may be able to offer more precise advice. Maybe a tray of water in the bottom of the oven?

Comment

OH is the bread maker in our house and he says the bowl of water is more likely to make the crust firmer.
      Industrial ovens are much higher % of steam injected into the oven.

He covers his rolls and bread with a teatowel as soon as they come out of the oven if he wants a soft crust.

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

It I want a soft crust I do like Nicos suggests, another way is to brush the top with milk once the breads out of the oven.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

In part it depends on the recipe. Using some milk instead of all water. A bit of oil or butter doesn't go amiss. I've also seen mashed potato or instant mash flakes recommended but have never done that.
          Brush with milk or dust with flour.
          Also, bake at a lower temperature.
          Cover when they come out of the oven will also help, but that can keep the crumb a bit wet too.

If you want a loaf rather than rolls, use a tin with a lid (pullman pan).

I have the opposite situation. My loaves often come out the oven crispy but then eventually go soft. Not a problem as Mr Snoop likes soft crusts. And I still get the flavour that comes from a decent crusty loaf.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
            OH is the bread maker in our house and he says the bowl of water is more likely to make the crust firmer.

The recipe I do always said to add a splash of water to the oven to generate steam for a good crust, certainly seems to work for me,

I realy need to start making bread again, havent done so for a while now and just thinking about a simple fried egg sandwich in proper bread yum!

Cant belive the rubbish they give us as bread!

Comment

* droooools
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X