Pea glut

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pea glut

Despite trying to do sequence planting I have ended up with a pea glut again The adelman peas really are a great thing to shore. Apart from putting in the freezer do people have any other uses for a load of fresh peas?

Pea soup? You have to blend fresh (or frozen) peas, they don't fall apart on their own like dried ones do, but they give a sweeter, more pea-y flavour.

Comment

I have never had to learn what to do with a pea glut but I am really jealous!!! I'll take some off your hands.

Comment

I just freeze mine they're nice to have once fresh ones have finished.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Pea soup, pea and mint soup, or pea and ham soup?
          or leave on neighbours doorstep?

Comment

Yup soup might be the best option maybe freeze the rest.

Comment

Made pea soup using the peas(obviously), mint, potato and garlic - all from the garden. Got a bit mixed up with quantities, found a recipe said it needed 900g of fresh peas, which I thought was a good dent. Only realised half way through that was the weight in pods, actual pea weight needed was only 250g. So I just stuck a bit more stock in. It’ll be a very pea pea soup I reckon.

Comment

pea and courgette soup can be good if you have a glut of both. 300g peas 1kg courgette stock and onions. I roast the courgette and onions till soft first.

Comment

Did think about that but have been keeping up with courgette harvest so far !

Comment

I like pasta, peas and pesto its good with a salad either warm or cold.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Spanish Omlette/Tortilla is great for any combination of excess veggies. Pea and Potato cakes or fritters.
                      I wish I had a glut of peas
                      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Pea hummus?

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/pea-houmous

not tried it but sounds lovely!
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Chestnut View Post
                          Pea soup, pea and mint soup, or pea and ham soup?
                          or leave on neighbours doorstep?
                          Do you have a recipe for pea and ham soup using fresh peas? I can only find ones for frozen peas. If I used one for frozen would I need to cook peas first? Apologies if I've missed the obvious answer.......men in white coats will pick me up eventually but, hopefully after I've made the soup!

Comment

Originally posted by Ger-annie-um View Post

Do you have a recipe for pea and ham soup using fresh peas? I can only find ones for frozen peas. If I used one for frozen would I need to cook peas first? Apologies if I've missed the obvious answer.......men in white coats will pick me up eventually but, hopefully after I've made the soup!
                            I'd just use the same recipe but cook them first.

Indeed, when I make pea soup with frozen peas I usually cook them separately, anyway, then blend them into a paste using a stick blender and then add that to the rest of the soup. It gives you the same texture as you'd get when making it with dried split peas (fresh or frozen peas won't disintegrate on their own).

Comment

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/pea-mint-soup
                              this is the one I used. Could add ham to it?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X