Elephant garlic scapes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elephant garlic scapes

First time growing elephant garlic and was surprised to see them going to flower, after some research this appears to be normal, just cut of the flower stalks before they flower so energy goes into the bulbs. These flower heads are called scapes apparently and are edible. Was going to treat them much like spring onions, though they have a strong garlic flavour to them, but was wondering if anyone else has any good ideas for there use?

Can you try them in a stir fry? I thought I was picking a spring onion once,I chopped it in a cheese sandwich & it was a garlic stem,it was still nice though

Comment

Had half of them today in a salad, very tasty. Other half are going in a quiche tomorow. Am sure they would work equally well in a stir fry, thanks Jungle Jane. Will have a good search about so I am better prepared for next years scapes.

Comment

I find the top part of the scape a bit on the tough side but the lower part is nice and tender. Goes well in stir-fries, risotto, omlette, bulgar etc.
        Years ago I read about a US ellie garlic farmer who said it made no difference to yield whether the scapes are removed so tried it on two rows by removing them from half of each row on opposite ends. Must admit I couldn't see any difference either.
        Marc, when you harvest the bulbs they'll have small bulblets attached. If you plant the bulblets straight away (best not to let them dry out) in an area where they can be left undisturbed, some will grow into new plants. Next year the tops can be cut off at ground level and used as a cut and come again veg. You'll probably get two or three cuttings per plant per season. For me the tops are tastier than the bulbs.
        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Thank you Mr Bones, very informative. Will get those bulblets into the ground when I harvest.

Comment

I'll go with Mr Bones - Elephant Garlic is infact a leek with a mild garlic flavour so can be harvested in a perennial manner - just plant them in a spot where they can stay for years and you can have your own perennial leek plot. Mulch them once they start growing and throughout the growing season to blance the stems a bit then scrape the soil back and cut to just above the bulb.

Another thing you can do is plant all the corms (the tiny little bulbs) straight away in their own semi-permanent spot. The first yer they, grow into a larger mono-bulb (no separate cloves just one bulb) and the following year either into a regular bulb or a large mono-bulb. Just dig up the larger bulbs and use them as your starter for the next seasons annual crop.

Oh yes, when harvesting scapes try to gently pull them out rather than cut them, that way you can get the stem down into the bulb which is the tenderest bit. Just a gentle pull with a slight twist. Same goes for ordinary perennial leeks (If you have Babington Perennial Leeks leave the stalks in so you get the flowers followed by the bulbils)

Best way to eat them? I like to fry in a little butter then have on crunchy buttered bread.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Thanks Jey-ell, sounds like they are quite a flexible and useful plant to grow. Will give these sugestions a try and see what I like best.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X