Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any use for green spuds?

Hi grapes,

My friendly neighbour dropped us a bag of spuds by the back door a few weeks ago, unfortunatly it was the day after we went on holiday so we came back to a bag of green spuds.

It would be a shame to waste them and they are only green for about the first 4mm below the skin.

Are they safe to cook if I get rid of all the green flesh ? or do I risk poisoning the family

Chris.

Well....I was brought up to believe that pregnant women shouldn't even consider eating a green spud.

I have eaten the occasional green spud, but peeled it deeply first , cut it in half and then if it smells bitter-chucked it.

I understand that green and toxicity can occur independantly which makes things even more confusing.
    The toxin is destroyed by cooking- but I'd be wary to eat a bagful.

Here's something which seems to say the odd one is OK ( If he's wrong ...well you could sue him!!!!)
    News For Curious Cooks: Green potatoes may not be as toxic as we thought
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

You could try planting them next spring, or in a heated greenhouse over winter for VERY early new potatoes. I wouldn't use them for anything else!
      Sometimes if you keep them REALLY dark, the green vanishes again in a couple of weeks.....
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Chop 'em up small and put 'em in the compost!
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
          Chop 'em up small and put 'em in the compost!
          And you'll have a wonderful crop of spuds there next year! Lol
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisE View Post
            Hi grapes,

My friendly neighbour dropped us a bag of spuds by the back door a few weeks ago, unfortunatly it was the day after we went on holiday so we came back to a bag of green spuds.

It would be a shame to waste them and they are only green for about the first 4mm below the skin.

Are they safe to cook if I get rid of all the green flesh ? or do I risk poisoning the family!

Chris.
            If it was only one or two I would have no hesitation in peeling the green off...............but all of them, nope......sorry, not for me! The spuds at the centre of the bag shouldn't be green though?

You could as has already been mentioned use them for seed spuds next year, and if the neighbour asks, say you've eaten some and enjoyed them so much you've kept some to plant next year!
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

If the greens not too deep...peel'm well & give a good boil!!We're still alive!!(although I too don't think I'd eat the whole bag~just the odd few!)
              the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                Sometimes if you keep them REALLY dark, the green vanishes again in a couple of weeks.....
                I didn't know that?????..........but I hope it works for me. I still haven't lifted all my tatties yet and any that were near the surface, and green, I've covered with soil. Hopefully they'll lose there green-ness!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

When I was a kid befor the days of fast turnover and sell by dates, I seem to remember most of the spuds were green to some extent and I'm still alive to tell the tale.
                  I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

similar thing - I was taught that you NEVER eat garlic that has a trace of green shoot in the centre, never mind one that is sprouting. I'm not particularly squeamish about eating anything, and admit to ignoring use-by dates all the time by way of example (within sensible reason), but I never break the garlic rule!

I learned it from a French acquaintance, who added that English people usually think it's rubbish but "never try to tell a Frenchman about garlic!" So I didn't...

Anyone risk the green bit?!
                    I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

I'd never even heard the green garlic rule!!Ooops!Is it due to toxicity or taste?
                      the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by Rhona View Post
                        similar thing - I was taught that you NEVER eat garlic that has a trace of green shoot in the centre, never mind one that is sprouting. I'm not particularly squeamish about eating anything, and admit to ignoring use-by dates all the time by way of example (within sensible reason), but I never break the garlic rule!

I learned it from a French acquaintance, who added that English people usually think it's rubbish but "never try to tell a Frenchman about garlic!" So I didn't...

Anyone risk the green bit?!
                        YEP!!all the time and i ain't dead yet, mind you it's always cooked, and I can't for the life of me guarantee my sanity.
                        Vive Le Revolution!!!
                        'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                        Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Many thanks to all,

I certainly feel more knowledgeable, the link Nico posted was interesting and I shall not worry about the odd spud if I peel away all the green, but definetly not going to eat a whole bag of them.

Didn't know the toxic stuff is in the same family as strychnine and can cause convulsions- sounds nasty.

As advised I will keep them for seed next year.

cheers,

Chris.

Comment

The problem with 'sprouting' garlic is that it will be starting to 'go off'. It isn't toxic, just changing the taste a bit and probably losing the health benefits.
                            You could let it grow a bit more and use the green bit instead of chives, for a different taste.
                            I've used them sprouts and all when I hadn't got anything else, and never had any problems.....
                            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I've eaten the green bit in garlic, it's probably Garlic snobbery. The leaves of chives, onions and garlic are not poisonous and normally I give onion tops to to the horses.
                              Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X