Chocolate and Beetroot Cake

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chocolate and Beetroot Cake

As Hugh FW nicked my idea for chocolate beetroot brownies on his programme last night here's my recipe for chocolate beetroot cake instead. Made it last night, very moist and more-ish with a dense but not heavy texture.

175g butter
    175g caster sugar (you could use soft brown sugar intsead for a more fudgey flavour)
    3 free range eggs
    50g cocoa
    125g S-R flour
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    75g dark chocolate, melted
    1 large fresh beetroot, about the size of a tennis ball (the sort that's been forgotten in the garden and is now too big for roasting or pickling , grated finely

Cream together the butter and sugar and beat in the eggs, one at a time. Sift in the cocoa, flour and baking powder and fold in. Fold in the melted chocolate and finely grated beetroot and transfer to a 1 1/2 - 2lb loaf tin or equivalent cake tin (probably a deep 8" tin) and bake at 160degC for about an hour and 15 mins until done. Cool in the tin.
    Last edited by Birdie Wife; 17-10-2008, 11:59 AM.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Sounds lovely, thank you!
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

haha have you spoken to him about copyright!! (good programme though)
      Thanks will have a go at this recipe although my beets were a bit rubbish this year
      Last edited by maximepaul; 17-10-2008, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Was going to try this at the weekend (by request of my colleagues!)! Did you put any icing on it at all? If so what type?
        http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

NOOOO I am trying to diet

*shuts eyes tightly

Too late have already pressed theb print button

Comment

Thanks for that. I was actually going to make one this weekend. Got the beetroot and everything

Steven
            http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

Yummm! I made it last night, lovely eaten warm! Everyone at work seem to quite like it too (early elevenses you know!).

Thanks for the recipe!
              http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

I made two of these cakes today. We had half for tea and the other half will be going to my Mum's office for tasting. The other cake will be going to my office cos us civil servants like a bit of cake with our elevenses!

I made them with the soft brown sugar and I loved it.

Comment

Hans Mum put up a beetroot cake recipe and it was a success so here goes with the chocolate and beetroot, fingers crossed, I will be using Willies Wonky chocolate !!
                  Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

What difference does the beetroot make then BW?

Sounds like something Mrs Cropley would have made?
                    To see a world in a grain of sand
                    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Thank you!! very much for putting up the Chocobeetroot cake, its fab, hardly taste the beets, and with Willies Wonky choc!!! AAAAAmaaaaazing definitely a 4 grin recipe not allowed to use 5!!

Comment

Thanks for the recipe, I made it yesterday. Its delicious! There's a definite earthy beetroot aftertaste and its a fab colour. I think its keeping cake moist too. Delicious with greek yoghurt and the kids had it warm with ice cream. Will def make again.

Comment

Yes indeed Bex, warm!!! stunning but definitely needs clotted cream or icecream or slightly sweetened double cream, at a push could well be good with just milk poured over!!, hold on folks! dont go crazy this could work!, just imagine your fave cereal (something with a multi grain composition and freeze dried red fruits) + cake + ice cold milk, drizzle of honey?. (why is there no hungry drooling bear smiley?) yuk yuk

Jenegade!, thinking of a rum ganache, quite a wet/soft one or possibly an insane esspresso ganache, ooh ooh happy cake!!! eat more cake!!, or for rapid consumption a raspberry cream!.
                          Last edited by ohbeary; 31-07-2009, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ohbeary View Post
                            Yes indeed Bex, warm!!! stunning but definitely needs clotted cream or icecream or slightly sweetened double cream, at a push could well be good with just milk poured over!!, hold on folks! dont go crazy this could work!, just imagine your fave cereal (something with a multi grain composition and freeze dried red fruits) + cake + ice cold milk, drizzle of honey?. (why is there no hungry drooling bear smiley?) yuk yuk

Jenegade!, thinking of a rum ganache, quite a wet/soft one or possibly an insane esspresso ganache, ooh ooh happy cake!!! eat more cake!!, or for rapid consumption a raspberry cream!.
                            ROFLMAO glad you liked it

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Originally posted by ohbeary View Post
                              Yes indeed Bex, warm!!! stunning but definitely needs clotted cream or icecream or slightly sweetened double cream, at a push could well be good with just milk poured over!!, hold on folks! dont go crazy this could work!, just imagine your fave cereal (something with a multi grain composition and freeze dried red fruits) + cake + ice cold milk, drizzle of honey?. (why is there no hungry drooling bear smiley? yuk yuk

LOL! Ohbeary have you been at the marzipan again?
                              There is a war going on for your mind. If you are thinking you are winning.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X